Solved! XPS Studio 16 - A Hot Tamale?

TheReignmaker

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Hey everyone,

So I recently purchased the XPS Studio 16 laptop from Dell. I primarily got this machine for school, listening to music, and watching movies. Having said that, I do like to game. I wouldn't consider myself an extreme gamer, but I do like to play for a couple hours at a time when I'm free. Now I'm not going to put anything new on here like Starcraft, but I hear this machine likes to get hot with the i7 processor. So being the thoughtful owner, I'm trying to come up with some older games that won't stress it out too much.

Is it asking too much to think I can run Civilization IV and maybe the Orange Box (Half-Life 2) on here? Remember, I'm looking for games that aren't going to overheat the machine. Am I shooting too high?

Here's the specs. I'd appreciate any comments.

Studio XPS 16 Notebook, Windows 7 Pro
Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz (2.8 GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
RAM 6GB, DDR3, 1333MHz 2 Dimm
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 - 1GB
500GB 7200RPM Free Fall SensorSeagate Hard Drive
3 Year Warranty

Solution
Unless you're covering up the vents, heat should not be a problem with most computers, as they CPUs knows their own temperature tolerance, and will throttle itself if it senses that it is getting too hot. You computer should be more than capable of running even Starcraft 2 oh High settings without difficulty, and you really shouldn't have to worry about the heat anyways. Just make sure it is well ventilated (ie putting it on a hard flat surface like a desk... or if you're really paranoid, a laptop cooler)

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Unless you're covering up the vents, heat should not be a problem with most computers, as they CPUs knows their own temperature tolerance, and will throttle itself if it senses that it is getting too hot. You computer should be more than capable of running even Starcraft 2 oh High settings without difficulty, and you really shouldn't have to worry about the heat anyways. Just make sure it is well ventilated (ie putting it on a hard flat surface like a desk... or if you're really paranoid, a laptop cooler)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS