New User needs help with gaming laptop (budget)

Status
Not open for further replies.

18masterkyle

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hello fellow Tom's Hardware peeps, I am currently living in Canada and I would like to purchase a laptop for gaming but also for school. I am in high school. I am looking for a laptop that gives me 3+ hours of battery life while still being able to play mw2,tf2,hl2 etc on medium-high settings. The price of the computer must be under 800$ (before taxes, taxes in canada are 13%).

Please give any suggestions and I will check em' out!

Is this good for gaming and video watching?: http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10339431&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|84&N=4009835&Mo=51&No=39&ViewAll=52&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=22494&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

Switchable graphics would be nice but is not required.

Thank you,

Kyle

18masterkyle

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
1_What is your budget?

800$ CANADIAN before taxes

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

any under 17''

3_What screen resolution do you want?

1366x768 --does not matter

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

hopefully portable (under 7 pounds)

5_How much battery life do you need?

3+hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

modern warfare 2, team fortress 2, half life 2, etc. some online fps. low-high settings. Whatever the laptop can handle. preferably a dedicated graphics card

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

watching movies, converting movies to ipod

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

320GB At least (not required but preferred)

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

(not limited to) tigerdirect.ca

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

until middle of university so 3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

dvd rewritable, lightscribe preferred (not required)

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

ASUS: Great build quality, high end parts

Acer: try to avoid! Cheap build quality, cheap parts, screen broke twice with acer laptop and netbook

13_What country do you live in?

Canada eh? Ontario

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I need something that I can bring to class but still be able to play games on

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I'm not sure that the HP at costco will last 3+ hours for you, but if you don't mind driving down to Detroit to go to the Microcenter there, the computer that rpg123 suggested is pretty good.
Another possibility available at the Detroit Microcenter is this Acer AS 4820TG:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0339942
which is on the top end of your budget, but is a very nice computer.

I've heard that you can get the 13" equivalent, the AS3820TG, in canada, which has pretty much the same specs, but in a smaller package, so you might want to look into that.

18masterkyle

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Thank you for all the suggestions! Unfortunately, I cannot drive to Detroit and the AS3820TG cannot be found on google. Please recommend me a computer that is located in Canada since I would not want to pay customs and duty taxes which would be atrocious! I am open to refurbished. How about this one: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5753605&Sku=F12-160003 or this one: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5250511&Sku=F12-150010

OMG! It's so hard trying to find something that fits my budget that has good battery life. I might look into a nvidia optimus laptop (whether its in my budget or not) Any suggestions?

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
While i have not heard much about the G60, I've read that the G51VX is a very nice laptop back when it first came out. It does have a previous generation processor, but if you're ok with that, it may work. Just note that neither will have the battery life you want.

G

If you are looking for a new gaming computer it will pay you to shop around. A good gaming computer can cost you

anywhere from $1,200 to $20,000. Depending on the level of the games you play you may still need more ram or a better

graphics card.

Some of the more recent high-end games will require high-end components as well to avoid crashing or responding like

a turtle. Don't forget shipping and handling. Gaming computers are specially built to process huge amounts of

information while playing online role–playing games so you will definitely need a big hard drive.

You can avoid most of the expense by checking out some of the laptops and desk top computers listed here: <a

href="http://www.cheapnewlaptopspoint.com">Cheap New Laptops</a>

You can always add components as you need them, but your initial outlay should cut your budget to something

manageable.

Jack

18masterkyle

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
What abour this one: http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?webid=884380&CatIds=69,70,71,3688&AffixedCode=WW&=&=&=# Its on sale. I need a computer like that one. Going to run project64 on low, hl2, tf2, etc on low settings

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

Hey! You found the as3820TG that i recommended :) Yah that should work pretty well for you... in fact, i think it can handle HL2 and TF2 on med/high. I'm not sure how intense Project 64 is, since i've never tried it, but it'll probably run fine on it :)

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

The HP has a processor that's about half as powerful as the one in the acer, while the acer has a graphics card that's half as powerful as the one in the HP... but if you want it to last through 4 years of university, i'd suggest the Acer, as it has a better CPU, which you can upgrade later if you want. That just means you won't be able to game as well... but that's the price you pay :p

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

If i had to choose for gaming, right now, then probably the HP (except for games such as World in Conflict or Supreme Commander, which are often very CPU bound), as the Turion II is good enough for most games out now, and the 5650 can give you better frame rates in games than the 5470. It's really a tough call for future games, as they may become more CPU bound, and the core i5 in the acer (and its potential upgrade-ability) becomes more important... but I can't say for sure.

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

I think it's about the same... the T6600 should be a little faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.