Solved! Please Recommend a Laptop for Me

nightmares_0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be buying my first laptop in the next few weeks, and I'm looking for some recommendations. I'm going to be using the laptop for some gaming, some programming, and some school work. It needs to be able to run Starcraft 2 or Visual Studio 2010 (I don't see either of these being a problem) smoothly. I want it to be fast (high performance) in general. I don't really have a budget but I'd prefer to spend about $1000. Here are the answers to the questions in the FAQ:

1_What is your budget?

I would prefer to spend around $1,000, but I don't mind going up as high as $2000 if necessary

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15-16 inch screen

3_What screen resolution do you want?

whatever is good :p

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

This isn't a desktop replacement (I already have a desktop), so I guess it's a portable. I don't want to sacrifice a ton of performance to make it really portable, though.

5_How much battery life do you need?

This isn't a big deal, so I'd hope to have average battery life (wouldn't mind above average though).

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes, some. Mainly Starcraft 2 at a smooth framerate (don't care about graphics settings).

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Programming (mostly using Visual Studio 2010 and Eclipse), maybe some Photoshop. Document editing (Word/Excel/Powerpoint). Might watch a few movies as well.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Whatever is average for a laptop these days. (what about solid state drives?)

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I don't have any specific laptops in mind, but I was thinking about getting something from ASUS (comments?)

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2-5 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Just a standard CD/DVD reader/writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

No preferences, let me know what you think is best.

13_What country do you live in?

USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I also want to get a mouse, if you have any recommendations for a gaming/performance mouse that is made for laptops and portability, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Solution

You can check out this MSI laptop, which has a better graphics card than the Asus one, and...

nightmares_0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I think I'm going to go with a bigger 15.6" screen for sure. I was at a Best Buy yesterday and I got a feel for the difference between 14 and 15.6 inch screens. It seems that the comparable ASUS 15.6" product is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220700

I don't like the flashy case with the "republic of gamers" logo, but everything else seems fine.

Please let me know if you think I'm making a bad decision with this, or if this is probably the best deal I can get. I'm planning to buy this one tomorrow night unless someone recommends something else (I'm open to other 15.6 inch options). Thanks.

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

You can check out this MSI laptop, which has a better graphics card than the Asus one, and are about comparable in price.
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gx640260us-p-2766.html

Just be aware that almost all gaming laptops have crap battery life, so you're probably not going to get more than an hour at most out of any of these.

There's also the HP ENVY 15, which you can configure to have an add-on Slice Battery, which should boost the battery life by quite a bit, but costs around $1400, depending on your configuration. You can try configuring one yourself here:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/series/category/notebooks/ENVY15_series/3/computer_store

Solution