What system specs should I look for?

tominblaine

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
1_What is your budget? $1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? At least 15”, bigger than 17” not desired.

3_What screen resolution do you want? Sorry, but I don’t know.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement but will travel with it occasionally, so 15” -16” would be ideal.

5_How much battery life do you need? I’d like to be able to use it for a 2+ hour movie

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I have young kids so basic games will be the norm, but my 7 year old might want to play something like Dirt 2, so I will list that as the most demanding game on the laptop. I’d like to play it with settings on High.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Video Editing is what I want to get into. I have a Sony MiniDV DCR-TRV22. I guess it’s about 7 years old or so. So I have accumulated many tapes over the years that I’d like to do something with. This is the reason for my post. Also, photo editing, music, occasional movie on the road. I don’t have a Blu-ray player, so that would be a bonus so I could connect it to my TV, but not a requirement at all.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 500?

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. N/A

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3+ years would be nice.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc? I’d like to put my videos on DVD’s, not sure if that was the question.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Any PC brand will do as this is my first laptop and I have no personal experience to avoid a particular brand.

13_What country do you live in? USA

I think more important that a specific laptop, I'm interested in what minimum specifics I should look for. As in:

Core i3 or i5 or i7?
How much memory? 4GB, 6GB, 8GB?
Is any dedicated graphics OK, or should I look for a certain card?
What about hard drive speed? is 5400 OK?

I know you can always go bigger and faster, but I of course don't want to spend money on something I don't need. I have done a lot of research so I am not asking this in haste. Please help, and by all means please link to a specific laptop if you would like.

Thank you,
Tom

tominblaine

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Sorry I forgot to mention that I think I'll start my video editing process using PowerDirector 8 Ultra.

Thanks.

tominblaine

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I also need help as to what connection I will need on the laptop itself to transfer my video to the laptop. My camcorder connection is the firewire type, but I know there are options as far as adapters. Like an ExpressCard to firewire adapter. Do I have other options? I'd like to use somethhing that offers a fast transfer rate.

tominblaine

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I'm desperately looking for some help. Could someone tell me if the following specs would serve me well?

i7-720QM
4GB memory
500GB (7200RPM)
1GB ATI HD 560v

This happens to be a Dell I'm looking at. It's the Studio 17 (1749).

I really don't know how much laptop I need for my particular needs so please, if you feel I can get away with less let me know. If these specs seem about right but you could recommend a particular brand over the Dell for some reason, please let me know. I need to start editing my video tapes soon. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.