Toshiba bios update problem

roxan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hello,
i have tried to update bios for my toshiba satellite l40 but after update procedure it willnot get started...what should i do...

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
What could be the reason anyone would flash the BIOS on a laptop? If you did not do it correctly, or if you flashed a BIOS that is not compatible with your machine, you will have to send it back to the manufacturer to get it fixed.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I agree. This is not something for beginners. If you do not do it exactly right or if you have a power failure during the process it will render your motherboard useless. The BIOS (basic input output system) is the precursor to your operating system. It must go through its cycle before your operating system can function. Find your box and some bubble wrap.

Chuckie1canobie

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

You are very right!! Toshiba has put out a program as a bios upate that is killing computers because avarage users like my self don't understand how complex this one is, and toshiba is not taking any responsability for their program or the results of the install.I am the owner of a $400 notbook shaped paper weight..I am looking for people such as my self that think that toshiba should take responsability for the problem they created and are tired of toshba getting away with this. I have set up an email, toshiba_kills_computers@hotmail.com, to gather info and possably take legal action

Frank Synnamon

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

It dependswhat bios you are having a problem with. Toshiba sends out bios updates for years and have had the same problem across multiple satellite laptops. If you hold the f12 key (or on some models f2) when it first powers on, it will bring up the bios menu. On the older models, you can go to advanced and you will see an option called boot speed. change it from fast to normal.

I just got my laptop 5 days ago and the same thing happened (bios level 1.6)
On this model, hold the f12 key when you power on to bring up the bios menu. Go to Advanced, then System Configuration.
You will see the boot as UEFI BOOT.
Change this to CSM Boot
This does the same thing as going from "fast" to "normal.

Save and exit and your PC should come up just fine.
On mine the bios update came up on the screen and it was accepted sine we trusted Toshiba not aware of the problems they have had with this for over 14 yrs now. Naturally you don't know there is a problem until you have it and do the searches. Very.very disappointed in Toshib and their support since nowhere do they mention this problem or the fix.