Need advice on laptop for grad school

bombardier

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
1_What is your budget? Around $500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? ~ 10” to 12”

3_What screen resolution do you want? Higher is better but this isn’t a priority.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable/durable – has to make it on a long commute by bicycle.

5_How much battery life do you need?

As much as I can get for the price, but at least 4-6 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Not crucial but being able to play Rome: Total War on low settings for LAN games would be awesome.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

I’m going to grad school, and these are their listed minimum requirements:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (I’m not sure why they say the Core 2 Duo specifically; I’m open to anything of roughly comparable power)

Memory: 2 Gigabyte (GB) (4 GB recommended)

I think that they want us to be able to run large spreadsheets on the laptop during exams, so it will be a high stress type environment and I’d like it to run smoothly.

I also want to be able to plug it into my 19” TV with a VGA cable and watch Netflix/Hulu.

My TV:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153;+-+19"+Class+/+720p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9602913.p?id=1218129862699&skuId=9602913

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 100GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Newegg.com (am open to other sites)

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD ROM – I assume will have to be external

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

ASUS and Acer, based on reputation...

13_What country do you live in? USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I have a gaming PC desktop at home that I will network with this, so storage and screen size aren’t really an issue.

I impulsively purchased an ASUS Eee PC 1015PEB at Bestbuy (Intel Atom 450N 1.66), with a Kingston 2GB DDR2 memory upgrade to install myself, but have prudently not opened them while I weigh my options and am prepared to return them if there’s something better. The two came to about $430.

I’m looking at this ASUS Eee PC 1201N on Newegg, and I like that I would have the option to upgrade to 4GB, but is the dual-core Atom 330N really better hands down than the newer single-core 450N?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220659