Power on a laptop with opening

chas els

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I have an older Dell Vostro laptop with the power button under the screen when closed. I would like to know if there is a way to power on the laptop without opening it as I have a keyboard, mouse and montior hooked up it would save space on my desk to keep it closed.

G

The reason for the off switch under the screen is to prevent you running the computer (or perhaps just the screen) with the lid closed as the screen would certainly overheat and so might the computer because the keyboard provide an exit for a certain amount of heat.

You'll just have to put up with the space issue.

chas els

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I can turn off the screen and I am running the laptop on a cooling pad. I checked the laptop temprature with monitoring software and the temps stay all in the green. I found a way to turn it on remotely with a momentary on switch wired to the power regulator, but I am wondering if there is a way through the software or some kind of docking station that can control the power. The Dell Vostro 1000 does not have a docking station that was designed for it, but can use universal docking stations. I am not aware however of a universal docking station that can control power management on a laptop. BTW, thanks for the response.....

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
You should be able to control what happens when the lid closes.
Right click on your desktop, click on properties, select screen saver,
lower right select power options, select the advanced tab.
My LT has a spot, When I close the lid of my computer? and my choices are
do nothing or standby. Select do nothing.

chas els

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks for the replies. However, I am looking to turn on the computer with the lid closed, AFTER it has been shut off. Other than wiring up some hardware to the motherboard in the laptop, is there a way to turn on the computer with the lid closed (some little published outside switch, an external key sequence, even through a special docking station (Vostro 1000 does not have a docking station made for it).

chas els

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Can anyone help me? I am looking to power on a Dell Vostro 1000 computer with the lid closed, AFTER it has been shut off. Other than wiring up some hardware to the motherboard in the laptop, is there a way to turn on the computer with the lid closed (some little published outside switch, an external key sequence, even through a special docking station (Vostro 1000 does not have a docking station made for it).