Laptop Display issues, white screen of death

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I have a Laptop that is working flawlessly, with one exception: White screen of death. I'm trying to determine if it is just the LCD, or if it is the mobo that is the problem.

The screen is white on start-up, but then goes to desktop. it will work fine on the desktop for browsing, word-processing, etc as long as you don't close the lid or put it to sleep. if you do, it takes a while to come out of white.

If I game on it, I have about a half-hour before it fuzzes out (about 3 seconds - so not straight to white.) These things make me think it's the integrated graphics hardware....however, if I hook it up to an external monitor, it works fine, which makes me think it's just the screen.

I have take then LT apart, cleaned the connectors and made sure the cable is seated on both ends, so I know that it is not that. The model is a Dell Vostro A860. Hopefully, someone can offer some input, as there is an LCD panel for it on Ebay right now that I may pick up.

Thanks!

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Cool, thanks for the input. Another forum suggested the ribbon cable could also be bad...that's $20 vs $100. I'm gonna start there and move to the screen second. I'm just glad to hear that my thoughts on the external monitor = gpu still working was accurate.