Solved! Best CPU for battery life

CaptainPlus

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hello,
620m vs 740qm
I have been searching around for a good laptop processor that will be good enough to play games for some years (3-4) but will not drain my battery life alot.
This is what I will be doing and how.
Games-Plugged in
AE- Most Likey Plugged in (Render plugged in)
Sony Vegas- Edit Clips plugged and unplugged (Render plugged in)
Use inetrnet and office programs-unplugged for school
My college says we will be using adobe programs (didn't list which ones though) but I will think that we will be unplugged if we use them.
I know that the 620m has higher clock speed and 2 cores but the 740qm has lower clock speed but more cores and higher cache speed. But people say that the 740 qm will drain batter life a lot faster.
I want to couple this with the mobility 5870 but will go lower if the performance on games wont go wicked far down if it helps that battery life alot.
Plan for 6gb (1333? or 1066?) of ram and 500gb hdd.
Any help is greatly appreciated, really thanks.

Solution
The 620m wlil certainly use less power.... however... It doesnt make sense that you're so worried about battery life, yet buying a computer with a 5870. It's going to use alot of power.

Depending on what size laptop you want... you should check out the Asus G73 - has everything you're looking for.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
The 620m wlil certainly use less power.... however... It doesnt make sense that you're so worried about battery life, yet buying a computer with a 5870. It's going to use alot of power.

Depending on what size laptop you want... you should check out the Asus G73 - has everything you're looking for.

Solution

CaptainPlus

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Well I heard that the quad core uses more power and the dual core uses less so I thought that the dual core and high card would balance each other out in terms of battery. I could also go with the 5850 if that even reduces battery comsumption.