My dell latitude d400 laptop wont turn on

G

Hi.

I was on my dell latitude d400 laptop last night and it made a kind of sizzling noise and then went off.I tried to turn it on but it didnt power on.there were no lights on indicating power nothing.i have taken it apart and cant see anything wrong with it but it does smell like something has burnt inside it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

al man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
This is a classical No Power/No POST Issue on a laptop, you've gotta cover these ends: Battery, AC adapter and Laptop. (Strange, but battery could be messing it up)

Take battery out. Check if the 5 LED lights come up when pressing the test button (located on one of the corners that of the battery surface). That's for charge status. Then Hold it down for around 5sec. See how many lights come up, they will go off, and some might come back. That's performance. The more lights come back, the better the battery life expectancy is.

Test the AC adapter, reseat the power cord to the brick (the adapter itself) check its light when unplugged from the machine. Is it On? good. Is it bright? Does it flicker? bad. You will tell AC is fine.

Now, main test (if AC is fine, otherwise, swap with a known good one): Take the AC adapter plugged to the outlet, and now plug it to the wall. If the light on the Adapter goes off, we can tell there's a fried MB. Otherwise...

... Try to POWER it on, the three LED's above the keyboard (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock) will come up, perhaps they display a combination Flash On Flash, or On Flash Flash, etc. If available, reply with it to me.

If they don't, try FN+POWER, they should come up if there's power going thru... if they stay on, write down the combination, let it go, you might hear something... if you do, let it go, that's a hardware Test running, we could then tell there's a problem with the video (try an external monitor then). If not...

...you'll need to take all of the removable parts: Hard Drive (take the screws from the strike zone bottom corner area and pull the door out) Optical Drive (push the button on the corner of your disc player, and pull it out) RAM, Bluetooth, Modem and WLAN modules...

... Try to fire it up. Does the power indicator on the laptop light up? Do you see the LED LOCKS coming up w/a combination? If yes, then you have a bad component among the ones that are out. Try plugging one at a time, you might get to POST (pre-boot stage, initial hardware mode) and even booting. Otherwise, you might need another MB.

alaminsumon

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

I have similar problem, but I don't smell anything burn, My power cord (computer end) was broken so I order a new one, I checked the voltage is 19.79 , pressing power button (with or without battery) the power LED blink once, and thats it. Please advice

saunders2609

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
ok i did what u said and got the lights here
... Try to POWER it on, the three LED's above the keyboard (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock) will come up, perhaps they display a combination Flash On Flash, or On Flash Flash, etc. If available, reply with it to me.

the tree of them come on then the num lock and scroll lock go off the caps lock then flashes 10 times ... please help

al man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
HEY THERE!

Sorry for replying this late. Have been moonlanding thus far, but I'm back.

I'll check on replies with you guys if you will, just let me know!

rehan21

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
hi, i have the same problem, my laptop froze ad when i restarted it, it wouldn't turn on..all that lights up is the power button, i pressed the fn key and the power button together and i hear 7 consecutive beeps..please help