Decent all-round headphones for 100-150 euro/$?

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Hey guys,

I am currently looking to replace my simple but trusty Logitech H330.

I have had 2 of these before and I'm pretty happy with their sound quality and simpleness.
But each time the earpads wear of. So now I'm looking in a higher price range for a headphone/headset.

I will be using them mainly for gaming. But it would be awesome if I could find a pair that is multifunctional, so I can listen to music on it aswell, without being frustrated about the poor quality of sound.

In the past I have used the Razer Megalodon from a friend and they were very comfortable to wear. But I was not happy at all with the sound that came out of it. (maybe it were the settings I don't know, but my 100 dollar cheaper H330's were better for certain sounds!

So I've been looking around and somehow got to these options:
- logitech G35 (built-in mic, "for gamers", ...): I'm not quite sure of these are good for music in general and how the sound quality is on these.
- Sennheiser HD558 + clip-on mic: These are a beginner audiophile headset? Meaning I get more sound quality for my money, and just have to add a mic to it? Are these not adequate for gaming?

My brother recently bought the Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Headset for 120 euros. And frankly, I'm not very impressed with the sound, similar to the Razer Megalodon. The included program is a piece of *** and the sound is not impressive at all. (haven't had the chance to test a lot, but just my first impression) So I'm not quite sure if I would like one of these "14.1 mega super surround sound ultimate gaming headsets", like the G35 maybe?

I fear the same will be true for the G35, I don't want the 7.1, 5.1 or anything like that. If I'm equally or better off with with a nice 2.0 set. I'm perfectly fine with the 2.0 my current H330 gives me (perfect sense of direction of sounds). I just want to go 1 step up to a higher quality/more comfortable pair.

My preferred Headset:
- Nice, high quality sound headset for gaming aswell as music, movies, everything...
- Price point around 100-150 euro/dollar

- No need for 5.1 or 7.1 (unless it is more than a marketing gimmic)
and ideally:
- Able to take it with me on the bike, bus, ... (not that important, earphones will do)
- detachable mic (for taking it with me on the bus, ... (again not important)
- Close/open headphone: I prefer closed on the bus. But it's no big deal, in my room it doesn't matter. (this is where I will use it most)
- I prefer the over-the-ear design. Because I think they are way more comfortable for long sessions? (like the Razer Megalodon) They were incredibly comfy to wear.
- wired/wireless: I've always been trying to avoid radiation/bluetooth/other wireless things, as I'm confident they can't be healthy for a person if your surrounded by those. So I prefer a good old cable.

From all these requirements, only the first 2 are decisive. The others don't really matter.

Can you guys help me out?

Thanks!

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I'm also looking at the SteelSeries 7H and the Cooler Master CM Storm Sirus.

The only thing I need to know is: will the HD558 give me a huge difference in sound quality, compared to those "gaming headsets"? And is it viable for gaming aswell?

Thanks

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
soundguruman, what do you mean?

Fact: I did test the Corsair Vengeance 2000 of my brother a bit more, and I find the sound quality worse then my simple 30$ logitech headset, making me doubt to take a "gaming headset".