Reciever to EQ to this Amp.. Will this work?

NickCapolupo

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I have the onkyo S5400 7.1 surround HTiB. I also have a pair of Cerwin Vega XLS-15's on the way, along with the CV-1800 Pro Amp, and I have a 10-band EQ already.. My question: Can I replace the front surround speakers of the Home theatre with the Cerwin Vegas, and can i do it through my EQ and amp? And if so, how..

Would I just go from the actually left and right speaker outputs on the reciever, into RCA's on the EQ. Then RCA's to 1/4 unbalanced TRS plugs on the amp (its a Pro amp, so thats howi have to go from the receiver to the amp.. really no need in "balancing" anything, all short runs). Then from the amp to my cerwin vegas..

Is this how this works, or will this harm anything? I appreciate any help in advance. Im not a big baller, and Im investing what is relatively "ALOT" of money to me.. I cant afford to screw anything up.

Originally, I was just gonna keep the Amp, EQ, and cerwin vegas seperate, as just my stereo system for music.. but seems like a waste to not add these bad boys into my home theatre system. (I eventually want to replace all of the Onkyo speakers, if I can, and still savage the receiver.

NickCapolupo

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Dang, in the computer section, you guys always answer questions helpfully, quickly, and promptly.. My last two audio questions... no answers. Not big Audio-technical Helpers over here at tomshardware i take it?? :(

To connect an amp to your HTiB you will need a speaker to line level adapter such as this:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/180727922493?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
It will connect where the speakers do now and will reduce the signal to the correct level to drive the EQ and the EQ will go to the amp.
You will need to select large front speakers in the speaker set up menu and no sub since the sub that came with the HiTB will not keep up at all with the CVs. You will also have to adjust all the speaker levels. You may have problems getting that done since the CV amp/speaker combo will be able to overpower all the other little speakers.

NickCapolupo

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Cool. So one of these should work for the front two CV speakers, right? I get what you are saying about them overpowering everything. the goal is to slowly replace all teh cheap speakers that came with the surround sound. I appreciate the help, and since i have you here, is it basically the same if i buy a bigger better center speaker, and get an amp for it too.. I get another on of these and put it in between the reciever and the amp going to the center speaker?

TRENDING THREADS