3.5 mm head phone jack to a speaker switch

Scott7777

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hello, I would like to connect a portable players headphone jack (3.5mm) to a Speaker switch. This is for a home system. The head phones have some amplification and I was wondering if there would be any problems. The switch is a quality one and makes adjustments for additional speakers and has 2 inputs for 2 sources. I would like one of these to be my portable CD player with the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Scott7777

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Ok, I have to try this in about a week and let you know the turn out. Thanks;

One thing I forgot to mention is that a stereo 3.5mm plug has 3 wires; one ground and one red and white. On the speaker switch I have 4 poles (screw connections for 4 wires Right +- Left +-). I know I can split the 3.5 mm jack into 2 RCA with an adapter and work with those wires but I'm off a bit in understanding this. I would assume that one is for left and the other right. The + and - symbols through me off.

The mini 3.5 mm jack has a red wire and I assume that is the + wire while the white is the negative -.

???

Thank you.

Scott7777

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Ok, I have to try this in about a week and let you know the turn out. Thanks;

One thing I forgot to mention is that a stereo 3.5mm plug has 3 wires; one ground and one red and white. On the speaker switch I have 4 poles (screw connections for 4 wires Right +- Left +-). I know I can split the 3.5 mm jack into 2 RCA with an adapter and work with those wires but I'm off a bit in understanding this. I would assume that one is for left and the other right. The + and - symbols through me off.

The mini 3.5 mm jack has a red wire and I assume that is the + wire while the white is the negative -.

???

Thank you.

You can't do that. The 3.5 output must be connected to POWERED speakers.

OR, you need to connect an ADAPTER that changes 3.5 to RCA stereo plugs.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/21668783?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem
Then the RCA plugs into an amplifier.
The amplifier drives the speakers.
The 3.5 CANNOT drive speakers directly, unless you have POWERED speakers.

Scott7777

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Thank you all for the replies. I found a solution I believe. I will post it and clarify myself a bit more so anyone can see the solution and the results.

Well, I found how to tell the RCA plug wiring. The 'signal' is carried by the large pin protruding from the plug and the ground is the outer ring of the plug. You can connect the wires to a battery tester and battery to make sure your wiring is correct.

I have a Rocetfish receiver / transmitter and the receiver is sitting in my kitchen for wireless reception from the living room. I wanted to amplify this audio reception as it leaves the receiver - which has some amplification - by placing a small amp between the output SPEAKER connectors of the receiver and the Pyle 3" speakers. But I believe there is a high/low signal problem here.

There are 2 speaker outs - left and right coming out of this receiver. I connected these outs to the amp (Lepai 20Watt amp) RCA inputs with pre-made RCA to bare wire connection.

Now when I turn the amp toward 50% power the amp lights dim and the amp goes off. I guess the signal leaving the receiver are high and the inputs on the Lepai amp are expecting a low signal. But I'm not sure.

Would high to low signal converter work here?

Thank you