Home theater speaker question

jboogie62

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
I am going to build an HTPC for my new home theater setup and I want floor standing speakers instead of PC speakers for surround sound. With the binding post input do I have to have a receiver, or can I get some sort of converter and connect them directly to the PC or TV for the sound output? a receiver will add extra cash to the overall cost but I would prefer those type of speakers to a computer surround sound system.

Solution
i would suggest either an amplifier or receiver.

the benefit of a receiver is that you can run one hdmi from your pc to the receiver and then one from receiver to tv. if you have any other input devices such as game consoles, dvd players, etcetera you can also swap inputs easy. receivers also may come with a microphone to set up your speakers for optimal speaker timing.
i would suggest either an amplifier or receiver.

the benefit of a receiver is that you can run one hdmi from your pc to the receiver and then one from receiver to tv. if you have any other input devices such as game consoles, dvd players, etcetera you can also swap inputs easy. receivers also may come with a microphone to set up your speakers for optimal speaker timing.

Solution