Solved! Toshiba C650 vs Dell 15R

swedishelite22

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
My wife and I are looking to purchase our first laptops and would like some feedback on the following models given their specs and prices.

I will use it mainly for web, email, basic word and excel functions, some video/music when traveling. I may use it for work as well but nothing more than I would be doing at home.

My wife, through the use of "pretty colors", has decided on her laptop, I am debating between...

Toshiba Satellite C650 - $500
AMD Athlon II Dual Core 2.1GHz Processor
1MB L2 Cache
250GB SATA 5400 HDD
4GB DDR3 RAM (expandable to 8GB)
2 year warranty

vs

Dell Inspiron 15R - $520
Intel Core i3 2.26GHz Processor
3MB L2 Cache
320GB SATA 5400 HDD
4GB DDR3 RAM (expandable to 8GB)
1 year warranty

Everyone I know who has used a Toshiba laptop has said they've love it. The one Dell I've owned (a Desktop) was flawed from the box and 4 of 20 desktops I worked with setting up a college computer lab were the same.

Now, looking at bang for buck am I being naive to ignore the Dell?

Hopefully members here can help share steer me right.

(note: the prices above are reflected via a discount program at my work and include applicable sales tax and shipping costs).

Solution
Strictly speaking bang for the buck, from the given info, the Dell is a better deal with a more powerful processor and a larger hard drive. Thats really placing minimal value on warranty.
If warranty is hugely important, then the Toshiba may be a better deal, but from the hardware, the Dell is better.

Furthermore, I'm guessing the Toshiba uses ATI 3200 or 4200, while the Dell uses Intel HD. While the 4200 and Intel HD are pretty close, performance wise, the 3200 lags behind, so that may factor in as well

toolinthemist

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Strictly speaking bang for the buck, from the given info, the Dell is a better deal with a more powerful processor and a larger hard drive. Thats really placing minimal value on warranty.
If warranty is hugely important, then the Toshiba may be a better deal, but from the hardware, the Dell is better.

Furthermore, I'm guessing the Toshiba uses ATI 3200 or 4200, while the Dell uses Intel HD. While the 4200 and Intel HD are pretty close, performance wise, the 3200 lags behind, so that may factor in as well

Solution

swedishelite22

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

Thanks for the reply and input.

The Toshiba is using a ATI 4250 GFX set.

Warranty is something to consider but not the only thing. Im looking total package. The weird things is, all computer forums have responses of the Dell... the handful of techy friends I have asked have all said the Toshiba.

toolinthemist

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Hmm, well that ati grpahics actually does beat out the dells graphics.
This is becoming a tough call.
I'm starting to lean towards the toshiba, since the CPU&gpu combo looks like it will provide a better experience. It's hard to make a call though.

If your friends have the toshiba, then I would definitely get their opinion on speed and computing experience.

I'm still gonna say Dell since it has the larger hard drive and more powerful next gen cpu