Non Gamer- But Graphic Design- Need Laptop @800

jayneizme

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
1_What is your budget? around $800

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I like the weight/portability of my 15'' but not set against bigger

3_What screen resolution do you want? Not a big deal unless 64 bit conflicts with some of my programs..

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? ummm.. don't really know the diff... but would like a dock.

5_How much battery life do you need? 3 hr

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Not a gamer

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Audio recording/editing with Adobe Audition, Lightroom, Photoshop CS3 Suite, minimal video editing- M- Office etc, various other little guys.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 250g

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? longtime

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? just a dvd/rw- burner - nothing grand

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Looking at maybe getting a Dell since I've heard they have better customer service, etc. Don't know anything about others- certainly open to suggestion.

13_What country do you live in? USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I have a HP dv6000 that i have added ram to and has been pretty good, but the wireless is burned out and according to online info the motherboard has major problems, in that it won't turn on unless it feels like it. (It tries to boot @ 6 times, and each time crashes out before the screen comes on.)

Current specs
HP Pavilion dv6000
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate
Processor- AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Technology TL-56 1.80 GHz
4g RAM
32 bit
150g HD

So, basically, I'm looking for something that can keep up with just my graphics programs, and really this has done good, in that it can keep up with 5-6 apps at a time.
Also, do i need something special to be able to plug into an extra screen when at the desk?

I'm open to any ideas on brands, or whatever.
Any help would be much appreciated!

PS- Would i be smarter to just keep what I've got, though it's a little old and just fix it?

Thanks- Jayne