Solved! Computer science major

okk12

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Hi, what would your computer hardware need to be in order to do programming. Like run a Java environment and such, also do your normal web browsing, email, and word processing. No gaming will be done on the laptop, I want to build a desktop for that later, so integrated graphics are ideal to keep cost down and less heat and better battery. would a 300 dollar laptop be enough for that? the specs are an Intel celeron 2.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB 7200RPM HDD, intel 4500M graphics.

Solution
okk12, in general, the answer is YES. The system you describe would be able to do the things you are asking about. You will get tons of suggestions for more powerful systems, but when it comes right down to it, you can do the things from your original post quite well with such a machine. Basic computing, including programming, only needs a basic computer. I (and many here) have programmed on far lest capable systems and it wasn't all that long ago that the system you ask about would have been considered a good choice.

Spend your money wisely for what you need now and then go for the beast when you build your future gaming platform.

Good luck! HOOAH!!!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
okk12, in general, the answer is YES. The system you describe would be able to do the things you are asking about. You will get tons of suggestions for more powerful systems, but when it comes right down to it, you can do the things from your original post quite well with such a machine. Basic computing, including programming, only needs a basic computer. I (and many here) have programmed on far lest capable systems and it wasn't all that long ago that the system you ask about would have been considered a good choice.

Spend your money wisely for what you need now and then go for the beast when you build your future gaming platform.

Good luck! HOOAH!!!

Solution

mindless728

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
honestly, i know quite a few people that use netbooks to program on and if they need something more powerful they SSH into a school server

although if you are using netbeans (heaven forbid, it sucks, just use javac with MAKEFILES and a text editor) you might want to go on newegg (or another site) and upgrade it to 4GB of memory (~$80 USD)