coooljr29

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Hello,HELP! I have an HP 550 Laptop that had a fried motherboard. I purchased a used motherboard and replaced it with little problem. Everything seemed to be working fine until I used the keyboard. When I hit the (a) key I get ('a). When I hit (f) or the (5) I get (5f). Also, when I hit (j) or the (6) I get (6j). And the strangest one is the (s) key, when hit, it gives me the time and date. Like ( 5:30 PM 1/3/1980 ). It's the strangest thing ever. Other key problems as well.
I thought it was software related, so I formatted the HDD and installed Windows 7. This didn't change a thing with the keyboard. Same problem.
The next thing I tried was plugging my "USB Dell Desktop Keyboard" into the laptop, and it worked perfectly.
My next step was to purchase a new laptop keyboard that came in today. Same problem.
I am at a loss. Could someone please help me with this issue. Thank you in advance.

coooljr29

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

jsc, thanks for responding. The new keyboard came with a new ribbon cable, but I am considering the connector attached to the motherboard. I just don't know how to go about testing it yet. I'm in the process of updating the BIOS now, and if that doesn't help then I will take a look at the connector. I'm running out of possibilities, any other help will be appreciated. Thanks again.

coooljr29

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Hi everyone, I would just like to say thanks for your help concerning my keyboard issue. I finally decided that it was a motherboard problem, and sent it back to the supplier and bought another replacement. It hasn't arrived yet, and if I run into trouble again I'll certainly know where to come.

Thanks again.

JR

coooljr29

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Hi again everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I received the second motherboard for this laptop. I installed it without problem and everything is working fine now. I'm still curious as to what the problem was exactly with the first one, but I'm moving on to other endeavors now. I don't really have the time to worry about it.

Also, I want to express my appreciation for the community again. Until next time.

See ya. :) :)

JR