Solved! Laptop for the Parents

MadAdmiral

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
My parents have asked me if I could look into what they'd need to pay to get a laptop. I'm really good at looking at desktops, specifically homebuilt ones, but have no idea who makes the best laptops or who makes them the cheapest. Here's what I'm looking for:

Budget: As cheap as possible
Screen: At least 15" (my Dad's eyes are getting bad), resolution doesn't really matter
Usage: Email, browsing, Excel and other non-intensive tasks. It would be nice if it could do other things such as movies (not BluRay), but it's not essential. I originally though a netbook would be perfect, but the screens are probably too small. That said, I'd like them to at least have a dual core CPU.
Storage: They don't have a lot of files. My 10 year old Dell desktop with an 80 GB HDD was their main computer until it died.
Brands: I'm considering every brand, as long as they provide support.
Longevitiy: They'll keep it until it literally dies. Given the tasks they do, it will die before they need more power.
Optical: Just a regular burner
Other: I have access to a cheap copy of Windows 7 and Microsoft Office (total for both for $80), so if it's cheaper to buy the laptop without them, I'd like to save that money. Despite having low powered uses, I'd like them to at least have a dual core CPU to at least stay in this century. I'm also thinking that it'd be nice to have 4 GB of RAM simply so that it won't seem slow, but that's debatable. I'm sure 2 GB or 3 GB would be more than enough.

If it's easier to just point me towards some good brands, that would be fine. I'm just looking for who might have the cheapest with the best quality.

Solution

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You should look into purchasing the Dell Studio 15 for your parents. It has a fast processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. It also has a 15.6" screen, which should be the perfect size. It is also not too heavy at only 5.5 lbs.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Solution