Solved! Looking for advice on a gaming and music editing laptop

kinsella01

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
Hi, I'm in search of a new laptop and have been browsing the web trying to get a feel for what I should be looking at. However, to be honest, while I'm definitely computer literate and know my way around one, I'm a little out-of-step in terms of specifications, what is out on the market today, and what is good value for money. I managed to stumble upon this site and you all seem like quite a helpful lot so I thought I'd ask here.

I was considering getting a Macbook Pro simply because I keep hearing how great and easy to use they are. However, I'm also aware that for the price of a Macbook Pro, I may be able to get something that is better equipped - henceforth I'm here seeking some advice from some people who know a hell of a lot more than I. So without further adue here is what I'm looking for.

By the way, thanks in advance! Any other questions and I'll be sure to reply.

1_What is your budget?
$2500-$3000AUD

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15” or larger.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
I’m not exactly too sure, whatever is the most optimal for gaming that is suitable for this price range.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Essentially the laptop will be a desktop replacement laptop, however it will be carted to and from work via bus/car on occasion.

5_How much battery life do you need?
3 hours + (while not using anything too hardware intensive)

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, generally into newer RPGs and some adventure/action games. For example, I’m looking forward to Fallout Las Vegas and enjoy Mass Effect 2. However, at the same time I wouldn’t mind giving the new Splinter Cell a go. Generally not really into online gaming whatsoever and rarely play FPS. As for the settings, well I’d like to be able to run games on high, however I’m willing to accept that this may not happen with the budget I have in mind.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Ah, this is the important part, I’m also intended on using this laptop to do some home recording and mixing through an Mbox2 + Pro Tools setup. I sometimes tend to layer quite a few tracks so I’m imagining that I’ll be needing something a little hardware intensive.

The laptop will also be used to watch movies.

The laptop will also be used to run data analysis through programs such as STATA and SPSS – this is probably irrelevant though.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

The larger the better, 250gb+. I do intend on buying an external hard drive for all my recording.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I have none in mind but would welcome any suggestions!

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don’t really have a strong preference for any brand as I’m not too aware of the benefits of one brand over another. What I do know is that I’ve had in my possession two Toshiba Satellite’s (company computers) in the past and they both used to get very hot and eventually the battery would only last for about 2 minutes

13_What country do you live in?
Australia.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm definitely looking for something which doesn't emit a lot of heat.

My occupation involves A LOT of writing - articles, research reports, and documents for students. So I guess I'm also looking for something with a keyboard that is suitable for a lot of use.

Solution
Hello and welcome to the forums
Well since you want to play games, then i won't recommend going with Apple Macbook pro laptops because they are not built for gaming.
Have a look at MSI GX 640,its a great gaming laptop with 3-4hrs of battery life
Hello and welcome to the forums
Well since you want to play games, then i won't recommend going with Apple Macbook pro laptops because they are not built for gaming.
Have a look at MSI GX 640,its a great gaming laptop with 3-4hrs of battery life

Solution