Looking for High Performance Laptop (Dell XPS Studio 16)

Artemis Apollo

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
1_What is your budget?

1.5-2.5k USD.

I was originally looking at the XPS Studio 16 a few months ago, heard good things about it, and for all purposes, the laptop suits my needs, but I never ended up buying a new laptop. I hear bad things about dell, and is unsure whether it is still a good choice now, as I expect new models and updates come out all the time, so I would like something that is serves the same purpose.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

16 inches, though this is not important. I plan on using it with external monitor(s), but carry it around as I will travel/move. Size really isn't a huge problem.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Whatever is good value. I would like it to look quite nice, for the price I am paying, and be able to play games and such, but it is not a huge priority so I would not like to sacrifice economy for it too much.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Mostly the latter.

5_How much battery life do you need?

Not too important, though it doesn't hurt if it lasts longer and doesn't burn the table.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes. I have not been playing games much lately, but something like COD4, HL2 on mid-high settings and smoothly would be just fine. I mostly play RTSes. I do, however, like to open several dozen browser windows, also I open a lot of tables of poker at times with a HUD running on each of them. The CPU gets strained on my current laptop (XPS 13) at times, and lag really annoys me, so I'd still like it to be fairly smooth. Graphics not as huge a deal, that's all.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
As above. I will be doing photo/video editing too, but not extensively.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Eh? Well I mean for this price I'll probably just get 500gb or whatever they have, I guess?

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Was considering dell.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3 years +. I probably will not get a new one unless I need it, and as my needs will not really change, so I'd like to keep this for quite a while.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Doesn't matter, but I'll just get bluray and everything I guess.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Well I obviously don't know much about brands and their problems, but I'd always used Dell, and wouldn't mind getting the XPS Studio 16 if it turns out to still be a solid choice. Any more insightful recommendations would be great.

13_What country do you live in?

UK

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I am new to this site (a friend recommended me to ask here), so help is greatly appreciated, especially if you can tell me which specs/customizations to get, as I really have no clue which processor/graphics card upgrades are good or best value, and I am suspicious of simply clicking whatever has "recommended" next to it. I don't mind paying a bit more of the upgrade is a considerable improvement, but I am not looking to squeeze every bit of performance out of the laptop with whatever money can buy.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I'd HIGHLY reccomend Asus G73 - for 1500 or so you get i7, 6gb RAM, TOP notch video card, and all the other goodies. Also, their keyboard and touchpad is top notch... as well as their cooling! It barely even gets hot... and has 1080p screen