HP Laptop won't start after 3 beeps

trintin7

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hi,
I leave my HP dv2000 on with a battery as usual before I go for a break.
Today there was a blackout in the office and when I come back it was off. I don't know what cause it I believe that it was the battery runs out before I arrive but.
When I tried to turn it on it gives me 3 beeps like "Beeeeeep beep beep" and the screen goes blank and the power indicator and the media button were lit but the screen won't turn on and there is no HDD activity at all. I tried taking out the batter and it still gives me the same 3 beeps. Now I have no idea what to do.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Solution
Your motherboard is most likely hosed from the repeated overheating and self shutdown I would imagine. honestly I'd just buy a new laptop. they are getting so cheap that buying a new motherboard and having it installed will cost you more than the laptop is even worth at this point. backup your data and junk it

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
it's a common problem your video chip is coming unsoldered from the MB. only real solution is to buy a new motherboard and have it installed or take it to a shop that has the hardware to reflow the solder. Though with that said it wont solve the underlying problem of the chip overheating so much that it can melt solder

trintin7

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
That's is not quite easy to do since I work in some area that I don't have access to that kind of service/repair is there a guide for self fix or I really have to buy a new laptop ?

I don't think it's an issue with this, this happened right after a blackout, which means there could have been a surge. You may have a fried motherboard, but I don't see it being a phisical issue with the video chip.

Looked up some stuff, HP may have an extended warranty for your model, check with them.

The posts I have seen about this were a bit old, but who knows. The issue you are having looks to have warranted an extention to support for the laptop.

If it's not under warranty, replacing a motherboard can be close to the price of a new laptop unless you do the work yourself. Check ebay for some parts. And seeing how your model is known to have a certain issue, you really may be better off seeing if you can get a new or used laptop instead of buying a motherboard to see it fail again in a few months.

trintin7

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Well before this happens my laptop been through quite a lot of overheat and self shutdown (due to the heat in the enviroment that I have to work in), RAM upgrades, new HDD and numerous Re-formatting to various OSes and I had never encountered this before

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Your motherboard is most likely hosed from the repeated overheating and self shutdown I would imagine. honestly I'd just buy a new laptop. they are getting so cheap that buying a new motherboard and having it installed will cost you more than the laptop is even worth at this point. backup your data and junk it

Solution

trintin7

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Can anyone recommend me a laptop that is good for outdoors and powerful to do 3D modelling (CAD) and core gamming with big screen. Weight and price is doesn't matter for me.

trintin7

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Ok, Thanks everyone for the advices my laptop decided to start working again. Hopefully nothing will goes wrong anymore after this event.
I'll will think about getting a new laptop as soon a I backup all 1.2TB database in to the central server.
Thanks Everyone

denholme

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Hi all, i work in the computer repair business and the laptop has suffered from a graphics chip problem, if you google it its a fairly common problem. The best way we have found to repair this is to reflow the GPU. Give the chip a fair bit of heat using a reflow oven, reflow solder gun but it need to be a lot of heat for around 7 to 10 mins evenly. Then there are copper "shims" available on ebay, thermal paste both side of it and stick it between the gpu and heat sink. We have a success rate of about 90% with this method. Bit of a nightmare having to do this but its sometimes the best and cheapes alternative for our customers who dont want to buy a new laptop. Hope this helps