How much does T43 really take?

Leaflost

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hi everyone-

Newbie here but everyone has to start right?

I just purchased a refirb IBM T43 and it has a 40G HD. Not much to work with I know.

My question is how much of that memory does or should WinXPpro actually take? Almost the entire HD has been filled with the basic OS, the systems periferials and it left me with little space to put programs I wanted.

I put WoW (World of Warcraft for those who hate acrynoms) on the system and Norton 360 and I have almost no room for personal pics, simple programs and definitely not MS Office (which I really kinda need).

My second question is- Is it possible to upgrade the 40G to an 80 or *gasp* dare I say a 120? I know many laptop hardwares are board mounted and what you got is what you get.

Thanks for any help
Leaflost

Welcome to the forums!

In theory, XP Pro takes up around 1.5GB of HDD space. But with page files, temp files, etc..., it can easily bloat up to 10+GB. Second, the HDD is not board mounted and is easily replaceable. You can get a 160GB hard drive from Amazon for $80.

If I were in your position, I'd drop the $80 and get the 160GB so I wouldn't have to worry about space issues.

http://www.amazon.com/160GB-New-Hard-Drive-ThinkPad/dp/B0032GS0OM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Leaflost

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks. I'll get the 160. I took me quite awhile on my pc to come close to filling up a 180G, so on this laptop it should last me.