Solved! How to remove power switch cover on Toshiba A105

vic5491

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Hello, the plastic power button, that is part of what Toshiba calls a Button Cover,broke and will sometimes get stuck in the down position causing the unit to cycle on and off. I called National Parts Depot and they told me that the button cover just snaps in place and could easily be replaced. I ordered the replacement part for $25 but when I got into trying to replace it, I found that it is held in place by a small bolt that comes up through the power circuit board from some place down inside the unit and cannot figure out how to remove the bottom cover to access it. If anyone can tell me the steps involved in gaining access to it, I would greatly appreciate it. The bottom of the unit has numerous small screws/bolts in it but I doubt it is a good idea to simply take them all out and try to remove the bottom cover that way.

I have found numerous videos, etc. on how to take parts of the A105 apart but none of them addressed this particular part.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. If you happen to have dissassembly instructions for this unit, please send them to me at ***********.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Vic

Solution

I can't vouch for this site but it seems to have what you need - http://www.eserviceinfo.com/index.php?what=search2&searchstring=Satellite+Pro+A100+%2F+A105+-+Tecra+A7. I won;t e-mail it to you and suggest you edit your e-mail address out of your post - you may get considerably less Spam if you do.

Solution

Erm - point of order, Mr. Moderator, Sir - I rather stupidly quoted the PS's entire text.

vic5491

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Thanks for the link Saga and for buwish removing my email addy from my note. I am a neophyte and did not realize I had committed a sin. :) If buwish can remove your quote, that would be great. Even if you have to delete the entire comment, please do. I already have the link saved.

Thanks again to both of you.

Vic

vic5491

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Thanks a million for the link to eserviceinfo.com. I got exactly what I needed and was able to swap the defective switch cover out for the new one. I had to take the unit totally apart but was able to do so and get it back together with the manual's guidance!

Vic

Jolly well done. I've fixed PCs for a living for ten years now but decided only this year to take on laptop repairs as well. I wouldn't lay a screwdriver on one in anger without downloading the manual. It's a nice feeling when you put your first one back together, isnt it?[/#000ff]

vic5491

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Well, I was glad to be able to fix it but it was really annoying how complicated it was to find someone (you) who could point me to a manual (Toshiba couldn't or wouldn't) and then it seemed ludicrous that the little plastic cover was held in place by a small screw/bolt that required that the entire unit be dissassembled into a zillion parts when it is the kind of thing that should just be a snap fit! All in all I am glad to have salvaged the unit and I am very appreciative of your help but I would never describe this as something I enjoyed doing. I cannot tell you how much time I spent on this one little issue.

Thanks again to you though...

Vic