Need some microphone help

iMuf

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
So I do a lot of youtube and since I started I have been using a blue snowball. I am looking to upgrade to a shure SM7B which is a higher end condenser mic. I am wondering how it is I would hook it up to a PC. I have heard that I need a pre amp. I have also heard that you can get XLR to USB converters. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing and can recommend a good pre amp or if the XLR to usb converters are any good. Any help would be much appreciated.

There is really no upgrade which is better than what you have already.
The mic can be connected with an adapter, 3.5 MM male to XLR..
http://www.calibex.com/Hosa-Audio-Adapter-XLR-531824343/cb2/prices-html?nxtg=3250a1c0508-BCBC4DA9BBFE2FA1
The tip and ring of the 3.5 mm plug connects to pin 2 of the XLR
The sleeve of the 3.5 mm connects to the pin 1 of the XLR
pin 1 and 3 of the XLR are connected together and to ground, shield braid.
If you do that it will work just fine, w/ no preamp.
I can tell you that for sure, I am a professional stage audio technician.
Does not need a preamp.
Check the mic level in your mixer and audio software. Your mic level may not be adjusted properly.
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, so explain it with more details.

iMuf

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I'm just looking to upgrade. Right now I use a blue snowball usb mic and it works ok but I know there are other mics out there that sound a lot better. So I have been looking at the Shure SM7b to upgrade to. All I'm looking to do is get some better audio for my youtube videos. Which is why I'm looking to upgrade. That is pretty much it. And thanks