Help choosing a low-end laptop

regmistic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
My current desktop pc is perfect in every way, except for power consumption. When I am not gaming, I like to have music playing or be able to just mess around online, but to have my whole setup running while I do it is kind of stupid.

1_What is your budget?
under $1000, preferably under $800
2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
size doesn't matter
3_What screen resolution do you want?
resolution doesn't matter
4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable
5_How much battery life do you need?
4 hours minimum, but it will be plugged in most of the time
6_Do you want to play games with your laptop?
not an issue
7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?
basic web browsing and audio, filesharing
8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
>300gb
9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
newegg
10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
over 2 years
11_What kind of Optical drive do you need?
play dvds
12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Asus, nothing but good experiences with them
13_What country do you live in?
us
14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I know what I am looking for, its just I am not familiar when it comes to laptop price/performance. By what I described it sounds like I am looking for a netbook kind of thing but I need just a little more power than that. Since this laptop is for when I am not gaming, graphics will not be an issue, it just needs to be capable of playing the occasional movie. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (brand isn't really important, asus is just the first thing that comes to mind for this)

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You should check out the Toshiba Satellite U500-ST5307. It has 320 GB of hard drive space and excellent battery life. It is also very portable (13.3" screen and 4.7 lbs) so if you want to carry it with you, it won't be a problem!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
when I saw low end laptop, i was going to suggest a macbook, but then I saw you wanted it cheap too...