Solved! A High performance Notebook under 1300$(Sorta)

harshytkage

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
1_What is your budget?

To put it straight, i live in India. So automatically, everything gets more expensive and your options are halved simply because they're not available here, or goods aren't shipped here. (Crosses out Newegg etc.). My actual budget is around 60,000 INR(Indian Rupees), which is about 1300$, give or take a few.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Not a factor, mustn't be insanely bulky though. i ddon't wanna lug a 5 Kg rock around. around 2.5 is fine. But not a major factor.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Nothing specific. in the higher ranges.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I know this won't be helpful, but a cross between the two, or more accurately, something in between.

5_How much battery life do you need?

Nothing huge, an average battery life.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I'm not a hardcore gamer(AKA i don't crave to play very heavy games at max settings), yes, i play the occasional FPS/RPG, but i'm mostly into RTS games. I'd like something that'd be able to play newer games at med-low quality. Of course, if the processor/gpu can do more, the better for me.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
My needs would mostly be large amounts of audio/video editing, so i need something with a capable GPU. and some amount of pure number crunching ability required as well. Of course, the watching movies and other normal stuff comes in as well...

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Preferably not lower than 500 gigs, may go below considering the rest of the config.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

None, this is probably due to my location rather than choice.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Must stay relevant( by that i mean not dead scrap) for at least 3-4 Years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

A Dual Layer DVD writer should be suffice, Bluray is not a necessity.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't have a major brand preference. I'll take any Dell, hp, toshiba, acer etc., i may have missed a few brands there, but any brand with an international presence would be fine. i Don't want any added hassle in service because the company doesn't do india.

13_What country do you live in?

lol...India, if you missed that somehow.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

My Options(Things that i came up with till now, feel free to suggest your own)

This is some stuff that i came up with while i was snooping around on the web, there are a few disrepencies that i notice(in the few dell configs that i came up with, i hope you guys can clear it up for me)

P.S. Since they were dell configs, i couldn't provide direct links to them. So i upped a PDF to google docs and i'm posting the links here, no sign-up or anything required. And i hope i'm not breaking any rules here XD)

Dell Studio 15 Config 1
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...E4MjktZTllYWQ1YjdhMTQx&hl=en&authkey=CKG8wsMK

Dell Studio 15 Config 2
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...E3ZTUtMDAzNjRhYmM5ZjY4&hl=en&authkey=CJ6U7-QN

Dell Studio 15 Config 3
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...hkNGYtMjU0Zjk5NzBmZjU3&hl=en&authkey=CPiHqbEO

These three have seemingly the same major components, yet there's a price difference, i didn't check the details though.

HP Pavilion dv6-2164tx
HP Pavilion dv6-2164tx Entertainment Notebook PC (WP695PA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products
Thing with this one is that they don't give details about the sound system, or if you can turbo the processor up to a higher clock speed, like the same processor in the dell configs)

I don't have a specific brand preference. Any with a good config that is available or ships here is welcome.

I can't thank you enough for helping me out with this! :D

harshytkage

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I'm just kind of cagey about hp, it's happened to a couple of my friends and relatives, isn't there any other option?
And the guys at hp don't know if the processor will have a turbo mode as in all other manufacturers i've seen, is it a i7 trait or do the dell guys do it themselves?