Help on choosing a budget DJ controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapolitas

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I am a complete beginner to DJing so I'm looking for a basic and starter controller at a low price. The most appealing to me so far have been:

Hercules RMX
Numark Mixtrack Pro
Denon MC2000
Behringer BCD3000

Since I am on a quite tight budget, I'm aiming as cheap as possible and I know that a couple of these are more expensive and I'm just wondering if it's really worth the money. I won't be scratching a lot, mostly mixing and effects, etc. If anyone has had experience with DJing or just knows about these things, I would appreciate all help, since I really have no idea which one to buy. Thank you

jaydubster

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
The Mixtrack Pro is head and shoulders above the others in your list, & everything else under £200 to be honest.

The Behringer is out-dated now, notably slow and unresponsive with rough quality sound output.
The Hercules feels cheap & plastic and just isn't up to scratch for anything but basic beat mixing, you'll out grow it quickly & want to upgrade to something like the Mixtrack within months.

So just get the Mixtrack Pro first off (ebay has clean used units selling around the £80-120 mark) and don't waste your cash on something you'll regret.

To save a bit of cash, you could get a Mixtrack (not pro) and a decent, low latency USB 4 channel sound card with headphones out. Behringers UCA-202 is a decent quality unit with low latency + phono outs, for about the £20 mark.

I can't comment on the Denon, but their kit is always good quality if on the expensive side.

For the moment, find a demo version of Traktor 2.5 or 3.0 Lite to play with.
It's a serious piece of software that simply works, is fun to use & fairly simple to get on with. It's actually workable with mouse & keys, then when you get a controller you'll have the more 'hands on' DJ experience to look forward to :)

Enjoy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.