Solved! LCD Size vs Resolution: What is a good 15" res?

jessew6889

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I am shopping for a new laptop, and have (tentatively) decided on a 15.6" screen, and of the models I'm looking at, the resolutions are 1080p, 900p and 720p.

I just don't want to get too high or too low a resolution... is 1080 ridiculously tiny on a 15 inch? Is 720 huge?

For reference: I use a 22" Lcd @ 1680 x 1050 and am comfortable with that... I have no idea if that is relevant information or not, but if I could get something that kept thoes proportions, I'd be happy with that but its not a nessesity, like i said, i just want a 'good' resolution.

Also, my concern was with the graphics card/ gaming performance with different resolutions... one of the 1080p laptops I'm looking at has an nvidia gts 360m, and another has an ati 5730... and a THIRD has a 360m on a (16") 1366 x 768 screen... I'd like to be able to play starcraft 2 and diablo 3 and modern warfare 2 on decent settings with fluidity.

Thanks for reading AND RESPONDING, none of that '900 views, 1 post' BS! :)

Solution
It's mostly a personal opinion. The best thing you could do is go to a local store that sells a bunch of different laptops and see for yourself.

Personally, though, I find that 720p is too large and pixelated for a 15'' screen. And having used 1080p on my 17'' laptop I can say that it is pretty small. I think I would find 1080p to be too small on a 15'' screen. 900p would probably be the sweet spot. Again, that's personal opinion.

As far as performance goes, the higher your resolution the more graphical horsepower you are going to need. The 360M would be ok for higher resolutions, certainly better than the 5730, but you would still probably be limited to medium settings at native res.
It's mostly a personal opinion. The best thing you could do is go to a local store that sells a bunch of different laptops and see for yourself.

Personally, though, I find that 720p is too large and pixelated for a 15'' screen. And having used 1080p on my 17'' laptop I can say that it is pretty small. I think I would find 1080p to be too small on a 15'' screen. 900p would probably be the sweet spot. Again, that's personal opinion.

As far as performance goes, the higher your resolution the more graphical horsepower you are going to need. The 360M would be ok for higher resolutions, certainly better than the 5730, but you would still probably be limited to medium settings at native res.

Solution