1k gaming laptop

poowhisperer

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I'm looking for a new laptop that will likely handle civ 5, starcraft 2, and diablo 3.

I don't think the requirements are out for diablo or civ 5, but i'm guessing either of the following will work. Since it is going to be used at home most of the time, i'm not too worried about battery life. I've never owned either of these brands, so any advice would be appreciated.

Lenovo Ideapad Y560
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146777&cm_re=lenovo_ideapad-_-34-146-777-_-Product

Asus N61-JQ-1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220696&Tpk=n61jq

Both are available for approximately the same price between newegg and amazon.

Thanks

Solution

flubadoo

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010

Wait a second. On notebookcheck.com, the GTS 360M has ~16000 points in 3DMark 06, but the GTX 260m only has ~14000? And the 260M is placed higher? I am confuzzled. Now I'm beginning to think that the G60JX is better than the G72JX.....

poowhisperer

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the G60 isn't available in any stores near me and best buy isn't shipping it now. I'm leaning towards the N61 because of the faster hard drive and USB 3.0. My hesitation stems from the fact that I don't know anyone who owns an Asus, so can't speak to the build quality compared to Lenovo.

On another note, what is the difference between the G series and N series Asus laptops, and is it worth the premium for a comparably equiped (processor and video card) G series?

Don't compare 3dmark scores. Synthetic benchmarks hardly ever equate to gaming performance. If you look at the game benchmarks on their site, the two cards are actually pretty close, the GTX 260 is ever so slightly faster. I believe Notebook Check tests on lower resolutions so the more powerful CPU the 360M would have been paired with would have helped make up some of the difference.

The main difference between G series and other series is that G series use a better VGA and a different design(a gaming design)and usually have better cooling.
As for being worth or not,it depends on the models that you are considering.

arendell

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Ok. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I bought the g60 this past week per recommendations of Maziar and others. This thing is sweet! All I wanted to run was star craft 2. The beta works in with ultimate settings without flaw. This system is exactly what I was looking for and it cost $855 to boot! I know it is no g72 or whatever model that high end asus gaming laptop is, but this thing surely meets all of my requirements! The only problem is there wasn't much documentation,etc...But who cares...for the price/performance I got, I would be happy with instructions in Linear B. Thanks again guys!