ASUS N61JQ-X1 vs. ASUS N61JV-X2

sinwha321

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Hey guys, I'm stuck between these two and I'm more leaning towards the X1.
I'm planning to take it into university with me.
Basically, I need a laptop that can do a lot of multitasking/multimedia capacity/ med-core gaming.
Below $1000 mark.
So here are my questions:
-is it wise going for the X1 insted of the X2?
I mean I'm all up for giving up 180Gb of HDD for better processor/GPU.

-any precautions I should take when taking this thing with me to Uni?
Warranty, theft, etc...

-Also, any advice you'd give me to buy from? I'm thinking of amazon.com (US) because they have the lowest price!

-If you can suggest me any other laptop, I'd be very grateful!

Yes, post the specs and we can better help you out. In regard to taking it with you to university, I recommend at least insurance that would cover theft, depending on the price. If the insurance is a bit much, ensure that you take the proper precautions so it doesn't get stolen, i.e. always lock your room when you are away, etc... It's up to you in regard to an extended warranty, as either one will come with a 1 year factory warranty. If you want to hold onto it for say, 2-3 years, an extended warranty may be worth it.

sinwha321

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
ASUS N61JV-X2: $879.99
* The new Intel Core i5-430M processor with Turbo Boost Technology for smart multitasking performance that adapts to your needs (Learn more)
* Vivid 16-inch HD LED-backlit widescreen for an immersive cinematic experience (Learn more)
* Powerful NVIDIA GeForce Graphics powered by GeForce GT 325M with 1GB VRAM for the latest multimedia and gaming enjoyment (Learn more)
* NVIDIA Optimus Technology for automatic and seamless switching between powerful NVIDIA GeForce graphics and battery-saving integrated graphics engine (Learn more)
* Altec Lansing speakers enhanced with SRS Premium Sound produce crisp, clear audio reproduction (Learn more)
* ASUS SonicMaster design for more detailed and richer sound quality
* 500GB 7200RPM hard drive for fast, convenient storage and access to all your documents, music, videos, and photos
* 4GB of DDR3 RAM brings increased performance with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit pre-installed
* Multi-touch trackpad lets you intuitively navigate through web pages, documents, and pictures (Learn more)
* Chiclet keyboard with numeric keypad for increased typing precision (Learn more)
* HDMI output for easy HD video and audio connectivity to your HDTV or LCD monitors with HDMI input
* USB 3.0 Superspeed connectivity for up to 10x faster transfer speed than USB 2.0 (Learn more)
* High-speed wireless N networking (802.11 b/g/n @ 2.4GHz) (Learn more)
* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for a faster and more reliable operating system (Learn more)
* ASUS Infusion Technology for scratch-resistant protection
* 2.0 megapixel webcam for video chatting with friends and family
* 1 year global warranty and 1 year Accidental Damage Warranty* (Learn more)

ASUS N61JQ-X1: 954.99$
* Powerful Intel Core i7-720QM processor with Turbo Boost and Hyper Threading Technologies for smart multitasking performance that adapts to your needs (Learn more)
* Color Shine 16-inch Edge-to-Edge HD LED-backlit widescreen for a vibrant and immersive cinematic experience (Learn more)
* ATI Discrete Graphics Engine (DGE) powered by Mobility Radeon HD 5730 graphics with 1GB VRAM and DirectX 11 support for the latest gaming and multimedia enjoyment (Learn more)
* Altec Lansing speakers enhanced with SRS Premium Sound produce crisp, clear audio reproduction (Learn more)
* ASUS SonicMaster design for more detailed and richer sound quality
* 320GB 7200RPM hard drive for fast, convenient storage and access to all your documents, music, videos, and photos
* 4GB of DDR3 RAM brings increased performance with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit pre-installed
* Multi-touch trackpad lets you intuitively navigate through web pages, documents, and pictures (Learn more)
* Chiclet keyboard with numeric keypad for increased typing precision (Learn more)
* HDMI output for easy HD video and audio connectivity to your HDTV or LCD monitors with HDMI input
* USB 3.0 Superspeed connectivity for up to 10x faster transfer speed than USB 2.0 (Learn more)
* High-speed wireless N networking (802.11 b/g/n @ 2.4GHz) with Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR (Learn more)
* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for a faster and more reliable operating system (Learn more)
* ASUS Infusion Technology for scratch-resistant protection
* 2.0 megapixel webcam for video chatting with friends and family
* 1 year global warranty and 1 year Accidental Damage Warranty* (Learn more)

G

Hi:) Are you planning to buy it for the college? Well, that's my case. Im checking on the Amazon everyday. I saw 909 like a month ago. It was like a special offer I think, and the price went up to 949 again. There's a possibility to go down to 909 again in 1~2 month.