Finding a laptop under $950

howardthebest3

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
1_What is your budget?

$950 but can push too 1000 if the laptop is really good

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

13" or 14" with less than 4.8 pounds

3_What screen resolution do you want?

1366 x 768 +

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

kinda portable

5_How much battery life do you need?

at least 3~4 hours, but i dont really care about battery

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games.(Low,Medium or High)?

I play call of duty, battlefield, etc. i can play them on low.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?(Photo/Video editing,surfing the web,playing music,watching movies Etc)

i listen to music, watch HD and 720p videos

8_How much storage(H.D.D Capacity)do you need?

500GB would be nice but 320 GB is acceptable

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the link to them.

none

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

about 3 years or so

11_If you like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop,post it.

i need a chiclet keyboard (NEED) and would really like backlight keyboard too

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons behind those preferences.

I dont want a lenovo, gateway, or acer....ive had all of the brands and all of them have problems

13_What country do you live in?

US and taiwan

Solution

Hi,

Great! Let me know what you find using the tool. I am happy to answer any other questions that you have.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You should check out the Sony Vaio Y series. It has a 13.3" screen and it weighs only 3.9 lbs. It also has up to 500 GB disk space available and you can upgrade to the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4550 GPU. The laptop starts at $769.

What do you think?

Isabella

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hi there,

I think the Sony is one of your best options. There aren't too many laptops at the size you requested with good graphics. Have you checked out PC Scout? You can use the tool to help you find a laptop that meets your criteria. You just enter your specs (such as price range, screen size, weight, etc.) and it will generate recommendations: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?mode=landing#.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Isabella