Solved! Looking for a laptop :: Dell Inspiron + ATI Radeon 5470 1GB good? GB

sammydude

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Hello all,

I'm planning to buy a laptop with which I can work on photoshop, video editing and some games. Not an avid gamer, but would like to play Tomb Raider, Need for Speed and Fifa. :)
Please help me in choosing. Will the ATI Radeon 5470 1 GB be good enough for my needs?

1_What is your budget?
850$

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not sure.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
2-3 hrs is fine

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes.
Tomb Raider Underworld - Low, Medium (High will be good too!)
Need for Speed Shift - Medium, High
Fifa 10 - Medium
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones - Medium

I'm not into first person shooting games. :)

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Movies

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
320 gb

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
http://www1.ap.dell.com/in/en/home/notebooks/inspiron-15r/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-15r&s=dhs&cs=indhs1&~oid=in~en~78002~inspn_15r_t540505in8~~

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Dell (I can employee discount through my friend)

13_What country do you live in?
India

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm planning to buy a Dell Inspiron Laptop (Because I can get employee discount through my friend).
Its approximately 850$ (40K in Indian Rupees).

Dell™ Inspiron 15R Laptop (T540505IN8)

http://www1.ap.dell.com/in/en/home/notebooks/inspiron-15r/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-15r&s=dhs&cs=indhs1&~oid=in~en~78002~inspn_15r_t540505in8~~

Intel® Core™ i5-450M Processor (2.4GHz, 4Threads, turbo boost up to 2.66Ghz, 3M cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)
4GB (2 X 2 GB) 2 DIMM DDR3 1333Mhz
320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
15.6 Widescreen HD WLED Glossy Display with TrueLife™ (1366x768)
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 - 1GB (India)
12.7" SATA Tray Load DVD+/-RW
Dell Wireless 1501 802.11b/g/n Half Mini Card
McAfee(R) Security Center (Multi-Language) - 30-Day Trial
1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis

a) For the above listed games, will the dell inspiron laptop be adequate?
b) i3 or i5 processor? (which particular model in i3 or i5?)
c) 3gb RAM or 4 GB RAM?
4) Is the resolution good enough?

Thanks in advance for all the help! Hope I've provided the reqd info.

Regards,
Sam

I've taken a look around and really, I cannot find anything better for the price. The 5470 isn't exactly a top of the line GPU, but for the price and in combo with an i5, I'd say that you'll be alright for the games you play and photo/video editing. In regard to the resolution, if possible, I think that you'd be a bit happier if you spent a tad more and bumped it up a bit, especially for photo/video editing. The RAM really doesn't matter as much as the other components for your use, but if it is within your price range, you might as well go with 4GB and a 64 bit version of Windows.

sammydude

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Thank you all for the informative replies! :)

The acer model is 17". Would prefer 14" or 15.6". Any model with 14/15" but with the same config?

After seeing the Dell laptop performance links, willing to go with other brands too if there's a really good graphics card!

Regards,
Sam