Need A Gaming Laptop w/ Good Battery Life For College

alexluong

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
1_What is your budget?
$1300

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
don't care

3_What screen resolution do you want?
don't care

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
desktop replacement probably

5_How much battery life do you need?
3 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
high

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
music editing/recording, video editing, photo editing, taking a lot of notes

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
don't care, planning on getting an external hd as well

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
don't care

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
a good 4 years for college

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
nothing more than a standard dvd rom

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
i like asus and sager, but brand doesn't really matter to me as long as the laptop has what i need

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I just need a laptop that's going to be good for gaming (as good as possible) while still having decent battery life so I can take it to class with me/library to take notes and whatnot. I'd rather not lug my huge desktop around.

aebome

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I realize this is a little higher in price, but still thought it was worth mentioning. It has hypbrid graphics so when you are not using games/graphics intensive programs, it will switch to integrated graphics savings battery life. Also has an SSD for a harddrive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127065&cm_re=sony_vaio_z_series-_-34-127-065-_-Product

For battery life plus graphics, this is probably one of your better options, and it would not be a pain to lug around for class.

If you are willing to sacrifice battery life, this could be an good option for you as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220739

This option is a true desktop replacement, and has an 8 cell battery, but because of its internals and size will not do as well on battery life. It probably could get through one class.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220695

alexluong

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Nice. One little change. My friend who goes to the college I'm headed to says on average there's only gonna be 2 hours of class a day. So I guess...I just need a little more than 2 hours of battery life. :O I'd like to hear some more suggestions if anyone has any! Thanks.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

If battery life is no longer a huge concern, check out the Alienware M15x (2.8 GHz Intel® Core™ i7-720QM and or the NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M). Another great option is the Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q880. However, it is pretty big (18.4" screen) so it might not be the best for taking back and forth to class. It has great specs though!

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

alexluong

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I've decided to go a little cheaper with the laptop. I don't need anything too expensive. Sorry, I'm never buying an Alienware! I am a firm believer that they are a bit overpriced haha, although I'm sure the parts they use are high quality.

Qosmios look great. Great specs, nice big screen for gaming, affordable. I don't really care how big they are to be honest.

I was also looking at the SAGER NP8690. I'd buy that in a heartbeat, but I can't find how much battery life it has. I just need 3 hours or so, so an i5 would suffice. I would think an i7 would drain the battery way too fast.

It's between http://sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP8690 or a Qosmio with a similar price. Qosmio's have big 12-cell batteries, but the Sager has the better graphics card (at that price). Ahh so hard to decide. If I could get 3 hours of that Sager I'd buy it without hesitation(with an i5).

alexluong

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
"[5:50:38 PM] Alex Luong: The average battery running time on model NP8690 is 45 ~ 50 minutes.

Allen Zhang
Sager tech support
1-800-741-2219
1-626-964-4849"

well then... haha

dannycai70

Honorable
Nov 17, 2014