Best multimedia laptop?

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I will need a desktop replacement in two months' time since I can't bring my desktop to where I'm going and I would also need to do some gaming, but probably at lower settings, something comparable to a Radeon 4770 if possible. I've been eying the Asus N82 because it seems to be a powerful laptop, albeit with a slightly small screen. I rarely do quad-core processing so an i7 is probably an overkill. My budget is around $1,000, give or take a few hundreds. I also plan to keep it for the next three years at least. What do you guys think?

Solution
ASUS G60 would be a good option.Since bestbuy links doesn't always work,go to www.bestbuy.com and search for G60JX-RBBX05,you'll find one with i5/GT 360M that costs $854

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
1_What is your budget?
$1,000, give or take a few hundreds.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Ideally a suitable desktop replacement, but I can live with 14"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
1280x720 is fine.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Doesn't matter.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Most of the latest games, but I can live with lower settings, something comparable to a Radeon 4770 if possible.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Maybe quad core processing once in awhile, but most of the time I won't.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
500GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD writer.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Asus and Acer are the most accessible brands with good quality in my country.

13_What country do you live in?
Indonesia

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I want an i5. An i7 is power-hungry and excessively hot, and I probably won't use its full capability. An i3 doesn't have Turbo Boost, so it's a deal killer.

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
A bigger screen is fine, as long as it uses an i5. The processor is more important to me than the VGA. The 4770 is just a rough estimate. Of all the games I play in PC, I haven't yet encountered a real limit to the graphic card, so something with a slightly lower spec should probably suffice.

I'll be buying the laptop two months later anyway, so hopefully some new releases will feature better graphic cards.