HP DV9700 No boot

bmackkc

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hello all. Tomorrow I will be looking at my sister-in-law's HP DV9700 laptop. Supposedly when they power it on, the HDD spins up, the panel lights flash, then the drive spins down, and it starts over again. This all happens before the HP splash screen would normally appear. I had her try it on A/C and battery power, remove the battery...all the usual stuff.
Just last week, I rebuilt the computer. It would lock up @ during the Vista boot. I discovered four corrupt files at the OS level, including cdosys.dll.mui. I reformatted and restored from the HP recovery partition, and the computer worked fine.

Any suggestions as to what this issue might be? Sure sounds like hardware to me at this point.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Solution

Is there a non-bootable CD in the ROM?

I worked on a dv9702 a few weeks ago and managed to persuade HP it did come into their three year warranty, despite not being one of those with a serial number indicating it might be suffering form their well known overheating problem - the lead-free solder fiasco. Your problem could be anything but it's well worth pressing HP on this. Their site says warranty is increaed from one year to three on one page but they seem to deny it in messages or telephone calls. All but the earliest six months of Vista would therefore qualify.

Solution