Best Laptop for Photoshop and some Gaming?

mhorn

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
1_What is your budget?
up to $1,500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15'-16'

3_What screen resolution do you want?
at least 1920x1080

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
No

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not much since it will usually be plugged in.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I will be playing games, but they are not as high of a priority as photoshop work.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Photoshop, image color correction

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
250gb 7200rpm

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I'm thinking either the ASUS G51JX-A1 or the Dell XPS 16, but would love to know if there are other laptops I should be considering

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd rom and writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Quality products good support..

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
It looks like Dell is no longer making the XPS 16 with the RGBLED screen. If they were I'd probably go with that laptop for the screen image quality. I'm basically looking for something with the power to crunch through photoshop and has the best screen possible so that I can color correct my photos while on the road.

biolguy

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I would say go to Dell online and look at the Studio 17 You did want a 15-16" screen but with the resolution specs that you want that will be very tough to find in most prebuilt systems. You would want 6 GB of ram or more and 1080p resolution screen and a more powerful Video Card. I was able to make a great laptop with your specs, even surpassed them with the Studio 17 and stayed well under budget.

mhorn

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks for your response biolguy. I actually got a chance to check out the Studio 15, Studio 17 and XPS 16 at Best Buy the other day. The Studio 17 is just too big for me. I can't imagine trying to lug that thing to work or through the airports. You mention that with the specs I'm looking for that I would have difficulty finding a prebuilt, do you have any recommendations for cases and other parts that I should consider if I was going to build this laptop myself?