Is surround sound gaming possible via HDMI?

volarath

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I need to borrow from someone's technical kung fu since I have to go to work and can't test anymore today. I have a computer running an Nvidia 560Ti and I'm running HDMI to an Yamaha RX-V371BL and finally to my Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E50. If I go into the playback devices in Windows it's set to use my TV as the output device, speakers set to 5.1, and a sound test from here hits all my speakers just fine. Gaming, however, gives me front left/right only every time. My old asus xonar is still installed and enabled. Any idea where I should start looking for the problem here, or information I should be including? Did I finally find my white whale, and I just need to get used to stereo with this setup?

Solution
When you use an HDMI cable, you're bypassing your Xonar Sound card. If the game you're playing does not support Dolby Digital Live, Dolby Digital, or DTS your video card is going to pass a 2.0 signal. Your receiver has a Dolby ProLogicII decoder, so you can at least set it on PLII, and get a matrix 5.1 surround.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
When you use an HDMI cable, you're bypassing your Xonar Sound card. If the game you're playing does not support Dolby Digital Live, Dolby Digital, or DTS your video card is going to pass a 2.0 signal. Your receiver has a Dolby ProLogicII decoder, so you can at least set it on PLII, and get a matrix 5.1 surround.

Solution

volarath

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

That makes sense. I'll have to try it when I get home. Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS