BlacK SCREEN UPON BOOT UP !!!!

kellywelly

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Hello, new to this...i was wondering if anybody could help....My friends laptop acer Aspire has a black screen upon loading up, it sounds like it is loading but then just goes to a black screen....i have tried loading without the battery, tried loading in safe mode etc.... but still black screen.... all suggestions welcome thanks in advance.

G

Once it sounds like it's finished booting (presumably you can hear the Windows start up jingle) shine a torch at the screen and see if it's just the illumination which has failed.

Connect laptop to an external monitor and see if that looks normal.

G

Do you mean connected to desktop's monitor ? Most laptops have a VGA outlet.

G

Sounds like a repair job -- even if it's out of warranty take it back to the dealer -- these things should work reliably for a lot longer than the warranty lasts. If the dealer sells a lot of Acer laptops he will probably have encountered the problem before.

G

Worth a try, but if you can't even see anything in Safe Mode ??? See if you can get as far as the BIOS screen to change the boot order so it can boot from the CD. See the manual for how to enter BIOS.

edmond419

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
anything appear BEFORE windows boots up? if the screen works (like the brand appears on the screen) then the light works.

G

u need to update your BIOS...u can do it in Acer website....they have the instructions...

zoe51899

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
THIS WORKED FOR ME. At startup I was seeing the startup screen, then black screen.
REMOVE battery, unplug laptop. Hold the start button for AT LEAST 60 solid seconds. Then replace battery and plug in. Try restarting. Saved me having to by a new laptp. Good luck!! KIM