How to modify laptop fan speed?

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Hello,
I have: MSI gx623 p7350 dual core, 4gb ram 800 mhz, 500gb hdd 5400 rpm, 4670 gpu in a 15 inch laptop.

I wanted to increse my fan speed by default to a higher speed, but i haven found a way to do it in the bios (only can turn of intel speedfan, dont know what that is so i decided to ask before touching it), i tried program called speedfan, but there was no fan in the fan section of the program.
i know its not a gpu fan, but is there any way to tweak it?
My temps are very high on load (35 C ambient TT), and some games (UT3, Gears of war, dead space in last boss), go fluently at full settings, but i get something like a frezze (white screen, nothing happens from there, but i still got sound from the music).

When i lower the settings it goes ok, might be something with the drivers, but unfortunatelly i dont have a way to update my drivers (msi dont make new drivers for laptops), and as we all know, mobile gpus arent oficially supported by games.

Even if for the sake of keeping my computer alive longer, i bought a thermaltake masive st23, but i need to increse the fan speed exaust also. Any idea how that can be done?

I only found one info about it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4547829_adjust-laptop-fan-speed.html

any more ideas?
Thank you,

Cats.

35C at ambient temperature isn't bad at all. I have a T6400 (C2D) and say, right now it is idling at 34C. Remember, laptop CPU's are desiged with a higher TDP (max temperature). Most C2D's have a TDP in the range of 90-100C. I'm thinking with the symptoms you mentioned that it may be an issue with the graphics chip getting to hot. You can remedy the issue, to a degree, by ensuring that you use it on a flat, hard surface to better let the heat move away from the laptop. Also, ensure that the fan ports are clear of any debris, i.e. buy a can of air and spray it out.

steddy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Windows 7 (and maybe windows vista) has an option in the advanced power settings menu that lets you switch your fan setting between "active cooling" and "passive cooling". Active cooling speeds up the fan before slowing down the processor, while passive slows down the processor first (the goal being to keep the cpu temperature down). You should make sure it's set to "active" if you want the speed to be high: if it's still too hot, I doubt there's any way to increase the fan speed past its default maximum.