Mid-range laptop for gaming and programming

claz

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Hi there.

I've read these boards before but I lost my old account, lolz. So here I am looking for a new laptop.

1_What is your budget?
My budget is at about 800 dollars but as I live in Denmark, Europe, I don't have access to cheap hardware so there's probably a 20% price difference between US and Europe and not in the good way :(

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I'd like something I can carry around on my bike along with notes and *** as I'm starting at the University soon.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
I was thinking about 15" as I don't want it to be too large.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. I will keep my desktop computer which has E8400 and ATI 4770, which serves my gaming needs just fine.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Battery life isn't much of a problem as I'll have access to electricity. I'm thinking that the "standard" hour and a half will be sufficient. Maybe 2 hours as there are some kinks and issues regard exams and computers.

But battery life is not super important.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Medium games. I usually play Killing Floor, TF2, L4D2 and Global Agenda.

Minimum Global Agenda Specs:
# OS: Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista SP1 or Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)
# Processor: 2.4+ GHZ Single Core
# RAM: 2 GB (XP), 3GB (Vista, Windows 7)
# Video Card: 256mb video ram or better with Shader Model 3.0+ (GeForce 8 series or higher/Radeon HD3000 series or higher)

I'll also be playing games such as HoN and LoL, which don't require that much computer power. I might play All-Points Bulletin at some point but that is not very likely right now.

Also, I only care about performance. I like eye-candy but I'd much rather have a consistent 50 fps than 30 fps.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
I'll be starting at the University where we'll be doing some light photo/video editing, watching a few movies and programming a lot.

I'll also be playing with some algorithms so a little processing power is needed but hardly much :sarcastic:

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
I'm thinking 200gb is fine as I have 500gb on my desktop.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I usually check the prices at www.pricerunner.dk. I'm not a big fan of parallel-import so I'll be buying it at a store. But let's not worry about availability just yet.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I'll be keeping it for quite some time. At least 3 years as I won't have enough money to buy a new one.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD-writer is fine. *** Bluray :p

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm not a big fan of Dell as they have a bad rep in my country. Lazy support etc. My friend has an Asus laptop, can't remember which one, and it had awful cooling.
It couldn't even play TF2 at the lowest settings without overheating after 5 mins.

13_What country do you live in?
Denmark, Europe.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'll mostly be using the laptop during lectures and homework and some gaming at a friend's place if needed.
When I'm going home to my parents or visiting friends, I'd like a laptop that can run a few games as I won't be carrying my desktop around.

claz

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
A few of them are available - mostly Sony and Acer.

I'd much prefer the Gateway :(

I can get Acer Aspire 5740G-6979 for instance. And Acer Aspire 4820TG.

I would prefer having some insights from more people though. I'm a bit reluctant as I've heard many Acer laptops, and mid-range laptops in general, are extremely noisy and hot.

$amurai

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Well, I can't find any deals, but I can tell you as an owner of an acer currently, it gets HOT. It idles in the 70's with just internet pages up, and gets into the low 90's before a complete shut down. This is without having cleaned it for a while, and it is a fairly old one, but I remember having this problem even when it was new. Acer's cooling systems just don't seem to be very good.

claz

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
If anyone else can find a laptop in that pricerange with an i5 cpu and hd 5650 or geforce 330M then please post it here.

claz

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Yeah, they are quite expensive. But they aren't that expensive in my country compared to the other brands.
I save about 100 dollars by buying an Acer. Isn't a big save imo. I'd rather have the Vaio then.

$amurai

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Definitely go for the Vaio, it should let you do all the stuff you want and be a nice laptop for internet, writing, whatever.