Connect Stereo-system speakers to pc

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
hey folks,

I don't know any official names and I know nearly nothing about speakers and sound, so I'll try to explain my question.
My neighbor's daughter gave me a DVD-player system with 6 speakers (center, front, back, sub-woofer). Now these speakers are connected with to single wires, no plug, which are put directly into the back, the same way as (some/all?) Stereo-systems. I'm sure there is a name for this, but I can't find it anywhere because I don't know how to call it, not even in the 'guide to audio basics'. I hope you understand what I mean. So here is my question: can I connect these to my pc?

My motherboard has 5 audio-inputs, so I could connect them, but I can't put them in directly. So I figured (I have no idea, but this was my only clue) I either need 5 some sort of connectors with a 3,5mm pc audio plug and inputs for the two wires, or a kind of amplifier system where I put in the 6 speakers and connect it to my computer. This may make no sense at all, but this are the only ways I can imagine.

So my problem is I can't google anything, because I don't know how the connection are called, and maybe you could also help me out with my second problem. This may be on another forum, but I couldn't find it, so please help me.

Solution
You cannot hook your PC directly to any of the speakers because the amplifier to drive the speakers is probably built into the sub or the DVD/receiver. Your PC soundcard is really no power at all. Depending on the connections of the DVD/receiver you might be able to connect you PC to that.
You cannot hook your PC directly to any of the speakers because the amplifier to drive the speakers is probably built into the sub or the DVD/receiver. Your PC soundcard is really no power at all. Depending on the connections of the DVD/receiver you might be able to connect you PC to that.

Solution

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
it's an old one, it still uses a scart cable. I don't know if its compatible, and if so, could I use these speakers for my computer, or just the sound from the DVD's?