How to connect laptop with no display to desktop?

tacoma08

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hello,
I have an HP Pavillion laptop that has all of my pictures on it and either the onboard video card or the motherboard itself has died. The screen is blank and so is any external monitor i can hook it up to. Is there any way i can hook up the laptops hard drive to my desktops? or some kind of transfer cable that will let the laptops hard drive show up in my desktop? One that doesnt require me to do anything on the laptop itself?
Thanks in advance!

G

The simplest solution I can think of is to remove the hard drive and take it to a decent computer retailer and ask of an IDE or SATA to USB converter. If you can't remove the drive yourself take the laptop and ask for help.

Hopefully you can then plug the converter into the hard drive and the USB into the desktop computer and it should appear as an external disk. Transfer your stuff to the desktop.

tacoma08

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
The simplest solution I can think of is to remove the hard drive and take it to a decent computer retailer and ask of an IDE or SATA to USB converter. If you can't remove the drive yourself take the laptop and ask for help.

Hopefully you can then plug the converter into the hard drive and the USB into the desktop computer and it should appear as an external disk. Transfer your stuff to the desktop.

Thanks for the quick response!

I knew there had to be something like that just wasn't sure what it was called. Looked up "IDE/SATA to USB converter" in newegg and found one relatively cheap. Already ordered it. Thanks again for the info and quick response!! I really appreciate it! :)