MacBook Pro alternative - matte display & good battery.

King Louie

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
I am looking for a durable laptop with a bright, crisp matte display and decent battery life. I need to be able to view the display well under a variety of lighting conditions. I am considering a Macbook Pro 15 Core i7 but would like to hear about any PC alternatives. Matte display is a must. I have been looking at the Lenovo T510, but it sounds like the display quality is mediocre, battery life is not so great, and the speakers suck. The Dell Vostro 3500 might do the trick if I really decide to save some money. I am almost sold on the Mac, mostly because I can't find a decent alternative without some fatal flaw, but it costs a huge amount of money, and that doesn't even count software. I already own a substantial number of applications for Windows. I have heard that Windows under Boot Camp on the Macbook Pro kills battery life. Still, I am leaning toward the Macbook Pro due to the combination of killer display, battery life, speaker quality, durability, freakin' coolness, etc... I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war (plenty of them around) but am hoping someone can point out a decent PC laptop that might convince me not to send Steve Jobs fat checks.

1_What is your budget?
Not an issue. I would prefer less than $1500 but will pay to get a quality machine with the specs I need.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14" - 16"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
1440 x 900 or better preferred. Could go smaller if the rest of the machine measures up.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. Don't really mind weight, though.

5_How much battery life do you need?
3-4 hours minimum.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No games.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Web, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, audio multi-tracking, some video editing, movies, external display, connect to projector, virtual OS (Windows XP, Linux).

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
500GB 7200rpm.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
No specific sites yet.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4-5 years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD burner. BlueRay would be nice, but not necessary.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Doesn't matter. Quality, durability, etc...

13_What country do you live in?
USA