2.1 PC Speakers for special criteria

jedolley

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
I'm looking to get some 2.1 PC Speakers and wanted to get some opinions. I've read various threads and opinions, so I have narrowed down my decision, but since none of the threads/opinions I have read are specific to my situation, I figured I would create a thread to get opinions specific to my criteria.

Price Range: $150 - $200
Size: Speakers need to be "smallish" due to space limitations
Use: Will be connected to PS3 ONLY for use in gaming and movies/TV shows
Want, but not required: Control Pod or remote with mute option

I am currently using Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II, but they are a bit large for my current setup and would also like an upgrade on sound quality.

Based on the criteria I listed above, I have narrowed down my choices to the following. Also, I know some will want to recommend AMP + Bookshelfs setup, but I am not looking to go this route. I do understand AMP + Bookshelf is a superior solution, but most of the Bookshelf speakers I have seen are too large for my space and I would also like to deal with one warranty.

Corsair SP2500 - Currently listed right around $200. These have gotten consistently good reviews and the control pod (don't care about the LCD) has the mute option I would like. My main concern is that they aren't noticeably different from the competition to justify $50+ price difference.

Creative Gigaworks T3 - Currently priced at $150. These also have gotten good reviews, but most reviews were done while at the $250 price range, so I have not seen any comparisons of these and $100 - $150 speakers. So my question for these are... How do they stack up? Now that they are $150, are they a no brainer?

Logitech Z623 - This pick is mostly about price. At right around $100 they may be a better bang for the buck, but my concern is that I would be getting what I paid for and it would not be much if any upgrade over my current setup.

I really hope I can get the community's feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

What you want is powered studio monitors.

jedolley

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006

I had considered that, but most of the recommended ones are too large for the space I have available. Also, several of them (i.e. Audiogene A2) have the volume control on the back which would be inconvenient. Keep in mind that this would be connected to a PS3 only and I would need to be able to adjust volume on the speaker.