HDMI Splitter to 2 Devices: HDMI Projector/DVI Monitor - Audio Problem

guywithapc

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hello,

So here is my problem: I have an active HDMI splitter (1 in, 2 out) from which I am trying to connect a projector (using HDMI) and a 4:3 monitor using HDMI with a DVI converter dongle on the end. The HDMI splitter is being fed by my PC.

When I plug my monitor into the loop, I am no longer able to send audio on to my projector via HDMI. As soon as I take the monitor out of the equation, the audio returns.

I know that DVI does not support sound, but if you could help me understand why having a DVI adapter at one end of the loop breaks the audio it would be a huge help to me!

Thank you!

joesden

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
You are correct. HDMI carries audio and video but DVI only carries video ( audio needs to be routed separately). That is why you are having this issue. I have had similar applications in the past and they only way is to route audio separately. I have used KVMSwitchTech's HDMI Splitter and DVI Splitter products in the past and they have worked well for all my applications for far.
http://www.kvmswitchtech.com/hdmi-splitter-c11622.htm

spmike

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
This is not entirely true. I have a Gigabyte GV-N450-OC-1GB (Nvidia GTS 450) video card that puts out audio on the DVI connector. I use a passive DVI to HDMI adapter, and I get audio on the HDMI. It might not be specified, but many vendors are doing it.