Help selecting a laptop up to $2500

sroff58

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
1_What is your budget?

Up to US$2500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

13-15 inch

3_What screen resolution do you want?

900x1600 or greater. I don't want a resolution of 1,024x768, which seems very common for 13-14 inch screens.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

portable, lightweight is better

5_How much battery life do you need?

at least 4 h

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

No

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

photoediting
photoshop
Word, excel, powerpoint
some video editing (Sony Vegas)

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

prefer 300+ Gb, 7200 rpm

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

no

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3 years+

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

have external DVD burner so none needed

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

My Sony Vaio VGN-S38 (5 years old) that has died. I liked it, great display. That's the only experience I have with laptops.

13_What country do you live in?

Taiwan

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

a) I prefer recent processors (i5 or i7).

b) I don't like the small screen of the new Sony Z series. The ultra-widescreen seems like it will require a lot of up and down scrolling to read anything. I like the older 16:9 screens.

c) I would like something under 4.5 pounds if possible.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
As would HP's Envy 15. very nice specifications when configured at ~$2275.

from their website:

Components

* • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
* • 6GB DDR3 System Memory (3 Dimm)
* • 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
* • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5830 Graphics - For i7 Processors
* • 15.6" diagonal Full High Definition LED HP Ultra Brightview Widescreen Display (1920x1080)
* • External Tray Super Multi 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support with 2 USB Ports
* • Webcam Only
* • Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
* • HP QuickWeb, Corel VideoStudio Pro X2, Corel Paintshop Pro X2, Stardock My Colors
* • HP Keyboard
* • One 6 Cell Lithium Ion Polymer Battery + One 9 Cell HP Envy Slim Fit Extended-Life Notebook Battery
* • No Productivity Software
* • HP 2-year Care Pack House Call Service for HP HDX, HP TouchSmart, or HP ENVY Laptop PC

I don't know about being under 4.5lbs though. THis might be around 5.5.

sroff58

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I really appreciate the help.

1. The Dell looks really interesting, but it doesn't appear to be available from Dell Taiwan. I need to buy locally.

2. The Envy also appears close to what I am looking for (beside the weight) but likewise it doesn't show up on HP Taiwan's site. They have the probooks and elitebook series (which may also be OK, but a little heavy) but no envy series.