Solved! Hulu and DVD Movie watching 13 inch Laptop

dboyd

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Hello. I am looking for a laptop. Please excuse any typos or me not using search to find stuff. I am currently writing this on my andriod because I don't have access to a good working computer. Thus me buying this laptop.[strike][/strike]

1_What is your budget
Max of 800ish dollars but I would really prefer mid 600s or lower.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering
Smaller size. Around 13 inches but doesn't have to be 13.

3_What screen resolution do you want
Nothing too crazy is needed. I just plan to use it for high def hulu watching, watching dvds, basic word processing, and internet use.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. This will be used heavily when I go on cross country trips.

5_How much battery life do you need
The more the better. I hope to use it to watch a movie on a plane without having issues. If it can play movies for 4 hours, that would be great. The more the better but not hitting this four hour mark isn't a deal breaker as long as everything else fits.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop?
Older games... like starcraft and rollercoaster tycoon. If I could play team fortress 2.... that would be nice but not necessary at all. That is really pie in the sky scenario. I am not looking for high settings or high frames per second. I would rather have battery life than power.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?
Dvd watching and hulu watching.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need
Small. Only 120 gb is needed. More is purely gravy.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links
I have amazon prime so amazon would be nice but don't let it hold ya back. I want one that fits, not one that is convenient.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop
3 years or more.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer, Bluray ROM/ Writer,Etc
Dvd rom writer. Optical drive is really needed.

13_What country do you live in
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed I hope this can help people to better find their ideal notebook.

Bad things tend to happen with my electronics, so a longer than the average bear warranty would be good. It isn't like a spill coke on them or do something stupid. I just am somewhat unlucky.

Thanks for your help!

-Dan

Solution
Take a look at the HP G42t series 14" starting @ $565
Core i3-330, 2GB RAM, 14" 1366x768 LCD & Intel HD graphics, 250GB HDD. Moving up to an optional 4GB of RAM would run $615.
It's not quite up to the standard of the 13" U30Jc-A1 but it's looking like a very good value.
$10 HP coupon: Stackable $10 off $60 Sitewide after HP Promo Code SVC55871

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi Dan,

You should check out the Sony Vaio NW. It has a larger screen (15.5") but it is still within your budget. It is also light-weight enough to travel with at 5.3 lbs. Check out photos and full specs here: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=eba9c003-8107-df11-927f-02bf9d3bf32a.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team