Solved! HOW DO SET UP MY PARTITION ON OLD DELL LAPTOP

WIZZYSPARKLES

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hello,I HAVE AN OLD DELL LATITUDE CPX,WHICH IM TRYING TO SET UP FOR A FRIEND TO USE,I KNOW THE BEST PLACE WOULD BE THE BIN BUT THERE IS LIFE SO THERES STILL HOPE.ANYWAY IM CONTINUOUSLY GETTING THE BLUE SCREEN WHICH IS TELLING ME THERE IS AN ERROR WITH A NONPAGED ITEM "PARTMGR" I HAVNT GOT A CLUE WHAT THAT MEANS BUT I KNOW WITH EVERY HARD DRIVE IVE TRIED THE SAME ERROR APPEARS IV NOW PUT A DELL FIXDSK CD INTO THE DRIVE AND ITS ASKING ME TO SET MY PARTITION UP PROPERLY I COULD ASK MY LAZY SON WHOM I MIGHT ADD IS A QUALIFIED PC TECHNICIAN BUT HE SHOUTS AT ME FOR BEEN A PEST THANKS SAMMI

Solution
First, verify that the computer's BIOS recognizes the paramaters for your hard drive. You probably need to press the F2 button when the Dell is first started to enter the BIOS and to review the systems settings.

Next, I am assuming you have either the Dell Restore disks or Windows installation media. Assuming you do, you should be able to boot from the DVD/CD itself (F10 or F11, I think) when you start the system, select the DVD/CD drive...etc.

Either software media should eventually let you repair/replace the partition as part of the installation process.

Hope this points you in the right direction. Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, verify that the computer's BIOS recognizes the paramaters for your hard drive. You probably need to press the F2 button when the Dell is first started to enter the BIOS and to review the systems settings.

Next, I am assuming you have either the Dell Restore disks or Windows installation media. Assuming you do, you should be able to boot from the DVD/CD itself (F10 or F11, I think) when you start the system, select the DVD/CD drive...etc.

Either software media should eventually let you repair/replace the partition as part of the installation process.

Hope this points you in the right direction. Good luck!

Solution