Repairs to lcd screen with vertical lines on it

It's possible but not always economically viable. Start by testing the laptop on a PC monitor to make sure it's your screen that's one West and not your graphics adapter. Once you're satisfied you need a screen it's shopping time and I use e-Bay. I start off by searching for the screen by the make and model of the laptop but buying at that stage is more expensive than going an extra stage once you've found the size and type of the screen.

Once you have your screen, decide whether to take it and the lappy to a pro fixer or to have a go yourself. If the latter, post back for more details and include the make and model of your laptop. It really isn't as hard a job as you may think.
[/#000ff]

veggiegrower

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
Thanks for the information. but I dont know how to test my screen on a PC monitor? Bit of a duffer when it comes to the more complicated things to do with computers!

If you have a PC, round the back there wil be a blue plug coming from the monitor and going into a blue 15 pin socket called a D-Sub. On the laptop is a black version of that socket and you need to swap the monitor lead so it goes to the laptop. Power up the monitor and the laptop and find the Function key with a graphic icon of a screen on it and press that in conjunction with the Fn key - to the left of your spacebar. If the screen lights up with the usual welcome screen, the laptop screen has gone West (South in the US, I believe :D) but if it deosn't, the laptop has a deeper problem. [/#000ff]

asauka

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
What laptop is this by the way? Try to include the Graphics Adaptor as well if you could. Failing that a model/build number for us to work with.

I have seen this many times before in the past and the reasons I have found have been:

- Loose or damaged SLI cable on a laptop
- Damaged GPU (As Saga Lout has kindly pointed out)
- The one I have seen the most; a loose or damaged cable that plugs into the screen from the GPU.

Good luck in solving this!

I'm always fearful of damaging that cable when putting it back in after fighting the industrial strength sticky tape to get the darned thing off the old screen. :D As you say, lots of possibilities - the invertor and backlight are just another two. Yesterday, I gave up on trying to get the graphics processor off an HP dv9700 mainboard when I saw just how many pages of instructions I had to go through just to get to it.[/#000ff]